Author Topic: 56" Red oak with 5" siyahs *Updated will full draw and finished pics*  (Read 10977 times)

Offline toomanyknots

Alright halfeye, this is what I got so far. 56" working bow, (minus 7" handle and 2" on each side where the siyahs glued on), 5" siyahs, 3/8" thick, 2 1/2" wide at handle. Pulls 45# at 26" so far. Way lighter than wanted, but it's cool. Fun to shoot, it makes a little "bongggg" sound when you shoot it from the string hittin the bridges, lol!. These are my first attempt at siyahs/string bridges. I'm happy. Pyramid bow profile is because I'm lazy, :) Ill post some full draw pics after I stain / wrap / finish it, which will probably be sometime tomorrow. Feels like 28" would be no problem, and I think I've pulled it that far while shooting, but my normal draw length is 26". So, what do yall think, if I add an inch on to the wideth, how much weight gain/what weight range would I most likely end up at? What about adding an 8th" thickness? Or both? lol
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 08:09:11 pm by toomanyknots »
"The way of heaven is like the bending of a bow-
 the upper part is pressed down,
 the lower part is raised up,
 the part that has too much is reduced,
 the part that has too little is increased."

- Tao Te Ching, 77, A new translation by Victor H. Mair

Offline youngbowyer33

Re: 56" Red oak with 5" siyahs
« Reply #1 on: October 07, 2010, 08:24:15 pm »
I don't know, but that looks awesome!!!
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2010, 08:55:52 pm »
Thanx young bowyer, having never made siyahs, I can't believe i did it!

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2010, 10:15:23 pm »
toomany,
     Damned fine bow sir!!! Some of your questions if I got it right would be.
1. usually the bridges go right at the bottom of the siyah's ( so ya migh try on the next one to move your bridges so they stradle the siyah/limb joint.
2. along with the bridge location, short siyah, no lift off usually have a high brace height maybe as much as 2 times where you have it. but you are making an all wood version so ya might try raising the brace a couple more inches and then go from there.
3. You aint lazy on the pyramid shape.....attaching a pic of a bow that was made exactly like that. (chinese in the hunnic style)
4. If ya want more weight on the next one....it's easier to gain weight by thickness than by adding width....the old "weight is" is X-2 for width...X-8 for thickness. Having said that it is easier to controll width removal than thickness scraping, because any mistakes are also X-2 and X-8

Like I said at the beginning, it looks like a bow, shoots like a bow.....it must be a bow!!!! that's how comw we allways make more changing what we didn't like on the first go around......but damned if ya didn't get a bow the first one out, so good for you.
rich

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline aero86

« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2010, 10:33:34 pm »
well i definitely like it!  youve had more success than i did.  course i was trying for 27 on a 48 inch bow.  do you have a top view of the siyah joint?  did you carve yours out of 1/2 oak stock?  thats how i made some.  just as a suggestion, round off the corners on the siyahs and make them more smooth.  will make it look much better and be easier on the string.  also, angle the string notch a bit down, help to hold the string in there. 

these are my favorite type of bow, so great job!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 11:17:07 pm »
Thanks you guys. And thank you for the tips and advice, appreciate that most!

"1. usually the bridges go right at the bottom of the siyah's ( so ya migh try on the next one to move your bridges so they stradle the siyah/limb joint."

I know, it looks wierd without em at the joint, doesn't it? I screwed that up. Rounded the ends off too much. I'm just lucky it holds the string ok.

"do you have a top view of the siyah joint?"

You mean like this?

« Last Edit: October 07, 2010, 11:20:51 pm by toomanyknots »

Offline aero86

« Reply #6 on: October 07, 2010, 11:31:02 pm »
yeah, that works, actually shows me two things.  thanks!  just wanted to see your function there.  wheres the full draw pic?  cant wait to see that
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2010, 09:40:28 am »
"yeah, that works, actually shows me two things.  thanks!  just wanted to see your function there.  wheres the full draw pic?  cant wait to see that"

No prob. Ill post one today, I promise. :)

Offline aero86

« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2010, 12:49:54 pm »
youve inspired me to make another, even though ive got the bow i want! lol. thanks!

Offline toomanyknots

Re: 56" Red oak with 5" siyahs *Updated will full draw and finished pics*
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2010, 08:04:35 pm »
Ha, glad I can pass on the inspiration. Halfeye and some guy on here named ken as well as kungfu movies are to blame for my wood shaving, lol! By the way, if inspiration is what you what, you'll love this site: http://www.atarn.org/
So much information it's unbelievable! Lots and lots on oriental and asian bows. My wife can't hold the camera still enough to take a full draw pic, mostly because our camera is horrible, and it somehow destroyed (not deleted, but destroyed) all the pics I had before. So I took a couple full draw videos, two because I think it's hard to see in the first one (or second one, or both, please excuse our poor photography skills). Can't figure out how to embed youtube vids, so...

Anyway, stained with homemade black walnut stain, then finished with just plain beeswax. Handle wrap and siyah wraps are black cotton thread waxed and made into cord. Came out at like 45" at 26". String is weird, just a normal flemish string out of linen, but with really long loops, :)

Full draw one:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xpN4JQHTOnk

Full draw two: (don't worry about the creaking sound as I undraw the bow, it's the string at the top rolling a little on the string bridge, as I made the loop too long and need to wrap over it. a little freaky sounding though!)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sxbVuw50K7c

Waxed and twisted up some black cotton thread into some cord and wrapped as tightly as possible, then tied some other cord around the wraps to tighten it further...what glue should I of used, I know I should of used something else besides wood glue, I have heard bad things of super glue...

Thanks guys for the help!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 10:43:32 pm by toomanyknots »

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2010, 09:13:14 pm »
that's great, full draw is a treat!
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline Aries

« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2010, 10:00:28 pm »
I like it! prolly the first ive seen of that style in red oak. was that a store bought board? Taking them too some new angles it looks like, if so. Keep it up
"If the only tool you have is a hammer,
                   you tend to see every problem as a nail."
                               ~Abraham Maslow

Offline toomanyknots

« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2010, 10:39:08 pm »
"was that a store bought board"

Yup. Cost bout 10 bucks. THANX!
« Last Edit: October 08, 2010, 10:44:08 pm by toomanyknots »

Offline NTD

« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2010, 11:35:33 pm »
Very neat bow.  Seeing these bows makes me want to try some more out of the box types.
Nate Danforth

Offline aero86

« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2010, 12:34:03 am »
oh yeah, ive been all over that atarn site!  btw, your my new buddy!  lol.  im weird about my fascination with these types of bows.  one day, i will try my hand at a proper horn bow.  your full draw videos are awesome.  i think maybe if you sand the edges, you might have less noise.  just on the back side of the siyah.  have you shot it yet?  your brace height looks pretty low