Author Topic: bending handle  (Read 1282 times)

Offline youngbowyer33

bending handle
« on: October 02, 2010, 07:15:33 pm »
I'm working on an experimental pyramid bow made out of poplar (got the wood for free, thought I might as well try it out), and I have the front view profile cut out. The board is the same thickness the length of the bow, it is a bit over 1/2" thick, and it is 68" long. Just by pulling it a little I can see that the handle bends. Should I glue on a piece of wood for the handle, or since it is already bending a fair bit there will it just pop off? Or would it be better to just thin the limbs? I'm only aiming to make a 40-45# bow, but I think that it takes more wood to make a bow with this stuff then most harder woods, so should 1/2 in thickness be too much? I'd really like any input, so any help is greatly appreciated. thanks
Mitchell
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline half eye

Re: bending handle
« Reply #1 on: October 02, 2010, 08:56:25 pm »
hey YB,
    If I read yer post right ya said that you allready cut the plan view out for the pryamid design. If that is the case and your grip area is narrower than the bottom of the pryamids that is why the stick is bending there first. If this is the case you can add a grip filler, just make sure to start just outside the triangle bases and cut in the fades on a really shallow angle.....that should work. If you keep the fade angles real shallow you can file it in to either rigid, semi bending, or full bending......simply file and check etc.etc. till ya got it right where YOU want it......then move on to the belly tillering.......hope it helps a little.
rich