Author Topic: red elm narrow profile?  (Read 1616 times)

Cacatch

red elm narrow profile?
« on: October 01, 2010, 12:51:17 pm »
I know red elm makes a good flatbow with a working limb width of say for example 1.5 inches. Could you also go narrower and thicker? Anyone ever made a narrow red elm bow?

Thanks,
CP

Offline adb

Re: red elm narrow profile?
« Reply #1 on: October 01, 2010, 01:14:12 pm »
Yes. Perhaps not as stacked as yew in profile, but elm will make a fine ELB. I've made several with profiles at 1.25" and 1" thick, up to 60#.  I'm presently working towards making a heavy weight (100+#) elm ELB.

Offline Badger

« Reply #2 on: October 01, 2010, 01:37:40 pm »
  Cp, red elm is a marginal bow wood. It does not behave at all like the other elms. The wood is light somewhat brittle if very dry and crysals easily. Red elm is a popular choice in modern laminate bows because it is so light and protected by fiberglass. I have made several bows with red elm and they do tend to be fast but don't seem to last very long. Steve

Offline half eye

« Reply #3 on: October 01, 2010, 02:00:12 pm »
Cacatch,
      I have not built any ELB styles. I have used a lot of red elm for the mollegabets and I know they are wide limbed.....but the levers are not. Never had any problems with compression or tension on the levers or the lever fades. While the bow was being tillered in the levers measureed 3/4" square (fades) to 1/2" square at the tips below the pin knocks. After tillering the levers are sanded to an oval cross section.
     Not exactly on point but maybe ya can throw this tid-bit into the mix.
rich

Offline gmc

« Reply #4 on: October 02, 2010, 06:42:59 pm »
Yeah, my experience with Red Elm was paranormal (like a bad acid trip out of the 70's).  >:D

Could be just my location.

Central Kentucky