Author Topic: Newbie and His First Working Bow  (Read 7345 times)

Offline Parnell

Re: Newbie and His First Working Bow
« Reply #15 on: September 29, 2010, 11:50:43 am »
Congratulations, to get a bow shooting is no small accomplishment.  I credit my first "good" bows to finding a supply of hickory board with some fairly straight grain.  Doesn't have to be perfect but look for as few run offs on a board as possible.  If you can find 4/4 or thicker, you want have to build up a handle.  Also, heat treat the wood early on, just after ground tillering so the wood is "Nearly to a char but not burned" and you'll avoid taking on a lot of set.  It's a process and addictive for sure!  Just my 2 cents.  Enjoy the ride and welcome to the crew!

Parnell
1’—>1’

Offline ryanfromcanada

« Reply #16 on: September 30, 2010, 09:37:58 pm »
 Should it be bending more at the tips. Im just asking so i can get a better idea of good tiller for my first bows

Lombard

« Reply #17 on: September 30, 2010, 10:16:26 pm »
Congratulations on your successful bow. Now get some more wood, cause one just ain't enough.

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #18 on: October 11, 2010, 10:17:40 am »
Should it be bending more at the tips. Im just asking so i can get a better idea of good tiller for my first bows
It could do, but there are different styles of tiller, arc of a circle, stiff tipped, eliptical, some short bows (especially sinew backed) bend a lot in the middle.
Personally I like a nice big arc of a circle.
Del
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Postman

« Reply #19 on: October 11, 2010, 10:34:56 am »
Congrats! wish I got into this at an earlier age.
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA