Author Topic: 61 1/2" osage splinter  (Read 17950 times)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: 61 1/2" osage splinter
« Reply #30 on: April 23, 2007, 11:51:42 pm »
Thanks Dingle. We all learn from each other. ;D These light weight are just as much work as a full size bow but because of the light weight I find them easier. Most of the bows I make are for hunting. Hitting the target weight can be critical but with these light bows if it comes out lighter than you want there is a kid or newby that it will be perfect for. I don't think you can make a bow too light. It will be perfect for someone out there.    Pat
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Auggie

• redneck engineer
« Reply #31 on: April 30, 2007, 07:15:24 pm »
Wow! Cool bow! Wish I had a splinter that good. What I really want to know is how do you get your glasses to float in front of you like that? Are you a magician too? I maen other than with bow wood. Auggie.
laugh. its good for ya

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #32 on: May 01, 2007, 02:24:28 am »
Well Auggie, About the glasses...I'll tell you a secret if you promise not to tell anyone. ;) This is part of the primitive powers that we achieve after years of bow building. :D ;D We absorb a special magnetism that gives us that "third hand" we have all wished for. ::) It kinda jest comes with the territory! 8)   Pat   
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Gordon

« Reply #33 on: May 01, 2007, 03:04:33 am »
You are a tillering machine Pat.
Gordon

duffontap

« Reply #34 on: May 01, 2007, 04:15:55 am »
Kill tiller Pat.  Strap three of those babies together and you've got one serious war bow.  That's a really nice bow Pat.  You're really turning them out lately. 

J. D. Duff

Offline longfletch

« Reply #35 on: May 28, 2007, 06:57:43 pm »
pat im not sure if you were there for the raffle sunday afternoon, but i had gave my 2 kids the pile of raffle tickets and they pulled our number for your osage splinter! both kids saw the number at the same time and it almost started a brawl :) its a snappy little beauty!! its a little too heavy for them to pull right now but not for a lack of trying. i think their gonna allow my girlfriend to shoot it until they get a bit stronger. you are a great bowyer, if i would have tried to tiller that splinter it would be in the overlay/riser pile :)

bryan
i like poetry, long walks and the beach and poking dead things with a stick

Offline tarsus

« Reply #36 on: May 28, 2007, 07:10:13 pm »
Great looking little bow Pat!  I have a few little pieces laying around, and that is what I am going to try to do with them.  Doubt Ill end up with that tiller job though ;) Very nice bow!!   David
"I practice falconry, the ancient art of throwing angry pointy birds at things."    Larry Dixon

David
Louisville, Ky

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #37 on: May 28, 2007, 09:03:53 pm »
Bryan, It's always good to know where your children have gone and that they are with good folks. I'm so happy ya'll won the bow. She did turn out good and deserves to be used and I know ya'll will do so.    David, You won't know til you try. Give it a shot and see what you get. Thanks for the kind remarks.    Pat

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #38 on: May 28, 2007, 10:46:10 pm »
Yeah, I was watching Bryan's kids when they got that bow- biggest grins I think I ever saw on a pair of young'uns. Your hick-backed cedar bow was won by another very happy looking kid, too.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #39 on: May 28, 2007, 11:40:58 pm »
I'm happy they both went to good homes and will be used and enjoyed. One of the guys tallying the score cards told me he won a bow I had donated 4 years ago. It had a Lakota style quiver and a few arrows with it. His grandson is still using it ;D
   This little splinter really impressed me too! :o I will build others. It doesn't take much osage to make a good bow.    Pat

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #40 on: May 29, 2007, 12:19:29 am »
That is a great looking splinter! Wish I had an eye for tiller like that - patience. I've learned how to slow it down a little (that's the best advise out there), am currently working on a peice of scrap osage I fetched out of the pile for the daughter - tight little snakey curves all up and down. Hopefully can post it soon.
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #41 on: May 29, 2007, 12:27:05 am »
Hey thanks Cowboy, Looking forward to seeing your splinter bow. ;D      Pat