Author Topic: Had them all over me...  (Read 2045 times)

Offline Mechslasher

Had them all over me...
« on: September 21, 2010, 11:14:42 pm »
today, but i couldn't close the deal. i was hunting under a ladder stand that is covered in kudzu, the same spot i missed a doe twice last year. i cut two shooting holes to cover most of the one acre section of the kudzu patch. this spot seems to always have deer feeding in it in the afternoon. sure enough, at 6:50 here they come. at first i saw two female fawns, they are in the center of pic #1, that still had spots on their rumps. decided that i would not take a shot at them because of the spots, i will later regret that decision. a few minutes later, three mature does and two spikes feed into the patch. they were all feeding within 25 yards of me for the 30+ minutes i watched them. i decided early to try for the larger spike. unfortunately, because of the rolling terrain and the depth of the kudzu, i couldn't take a shot at the larger spike while he feed in front of me at 20 yards. all the deer started feeding to the opening in the first pic where the kudzu is thinner and shallow. it was this time something started to chew on my left shoulder. felt like one of the turkey raping coastal mosquitoes and of course earlier my thermacell malfunctioned and would not light up. the larger spike had to take about three more steps and i'd have a clear 15 yard shot at him feeding broadside. i couldn't take any longer and had to reach up ever so slowly and kill the s.o.b. biting me and that's when i realized that one of the fawns had fed to about 15' of me to my far left. well, she freaked out and took off running taking all the other deer with her. round one goes to the deer.

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: September 22, 2010, 07:56:59 am by Mechslasher »
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Had them all over me...
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 11:35:57 pm »
Close but no cigar!  What a cool blind!   Is that the tripod stand?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #2 on: September 22, 2010, 01:12:42 am »
Great setup maybe next time!!
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #3 on: September 22, 2010, 08:07:44 am »
pat, this is a 12' homemade ladder stand i'm hunting under.  as you can see, it's covered with kudzu making for a perfect blind.  to me, it's of dubious construction being made of one inch tubing with 3/8" rebar for the steps.  the fellow, who owns he property, made it and hunts out of it.  i wouldn't trust it for a second, if i tried to climb up, it would fold like a lawn chair.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline half eye

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 08:51:28 am »
you'll get em bud.....thanks for the story, took me back to all the times (since the 60's) I've been in the deer woods with a bow.....think I'm still behind on them deer, swear to god they stick their tounges out at me. ;D
rich

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 09:38:44 am »
Interesting hunting patch you have there. The story sounds to dang familiar though. I always get busted by a doe.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah