Author Topic: Ash/Cherry R/D  (Read 2437 times)

Offline Shooter

Ash/Cherry R/D
« on: September 20, 2010, 10:01:59 pm »
I didn't get many pics of this one before I found it a home. I gave it to my neighbor's grandson on the spur of the moment and hadn't even had a chance to finish cleaning up the handle or oil it. A good project for him  8)

This was strictly experimental. After building several d-section longbows with cherry and lam-boo, I wanted to see what cherry could take. I'm surprised that my 72" longbows are easily able to draw well over 30 inches with no chrysaling or any other issues aside from 'excessive' set (1.5" or so). I've had a hard time trying to get more than 55 - 60 lb out of them though.

I made this bow from a rift-sawn cherry board and cut the limbs' thickness and fades on my table saw. I set the blade height so that it'd leave 3/8 on the limb and clamped a stopper to the opposite limb so it would only allow the board to travel to where I wanted the fade to run up onto the handle. The ash is 1/8" thick and butt-jointed at the middle of the handle. As you can see, it's pretty sloppy. The tiller is slightly off but nothing to get worked up about. It took some set and lots of string follow, but it was fun making it and trying new things. The limbs taper from 1.5" to 1/2" starting about 10 inches from the tips. I left a little shelf and elongated the handle to see if I could get the handle to flex some. I thought it would allow for a little more draw length - if only slightly so. It's a little sluggish but quiet with no shock.

58" o/a
45#@28 I think my son's only drawing about 27" in the pic but it'll go to 28" no problem.
Thanks for looking

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline okiecountryboy

Re: Ash/Cherry R/D
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2010, 01:20:57 am »
Great job payin it forward. That is one lucky neighbor's grandson.

Oh...Very nice bow!

Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

Offline Shooter

« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2010, 01:46:55 am »
Thanks, Ron. The look on the young fella's face was priceless when I handed it to him and told him he could have it for keeps ;D

Bruce

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2010, 09:02:24 am »
Nice job,good looking bow.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Shooter

« Reply #4 on: September 22, 2010, 05:16:20 pm »
Thanks, Pappy :)

Bruce

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #5 on: September 22, 2010, 05:50:32 pm »
Very Nice Bow!  Got it Bookmarked for Sept Backed Bow of the Month Contest!  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Shooter

« Reply #6 on: September 22, 2010, 06:01:08 pm »
Hey, Josh, thanks. If it's all the same, I rather it wasn't added to BoM. Apologies for not noting that in the title.

I promise to show one in the next week or so that will be worthy. ;)

Bruce

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2010, 06:04:54 pm »
Cool I won't run it if you don't want me to but I think it is a good bow and you should run it.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline swamp yeti

« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2010, 09:55:37 pm »
Nice looking bow.

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #9 on: September 23, 2010, 02:15:04 am »
I wish some fellow like you gave me one when I was a kid.That is a nice job, Denny........