Author Topic: 2 ?'s Poke Salad Berries & Backings  (Read 6062 times)

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
2 ?'s Poke Salad Berries & Backings
« on: September 14, 2010, 11:26:18 pm »
 1.  Has anyone tried using the berries from Poke Salad? I know it stains everything I touch and the horses too. Would it make a good stain for wood? The berries would be for the mod. Holmegaard that I finished. (no pics till it's comp. finished)

2. Can I tiller my Hickory board to the point of say, 16-18". Then back it with boo? It's true 1/4 sawn, so I know it don't need backing, but I just like the looks of the boo backing. ;)

« Last Edit: September 14, 2010, 11:29:29 pm by hillbilly61 »
I will say of the Lord,"He is my refuge and my fortress;
  My God, in Him I will trust."  Psalm 91:2

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: 2 ?'s Poke Salad Berries & Backings
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 11:39:54 pm »
You can stain wood with poke berries. Some berry stains will fade with time and especially if exposed to sunlight. You might try mixing the berries with alcohol, strain out the pulp and use that for the stain. Do a test piece first.
  As for tillering the bow out to 16" to 18" before backing...yes you can do that...but your tillering need to be good before you add a boo backing. Bamboo makes a very strong backing and will enhance any problems you might have in the tillering. I personally don't consider hickory to be a good belly wood option for boo backing. I know it can be done but hickory is relatively weak in compression and boo is very strong in tension. Not a good match in my opinion. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline koan

• Brian D. Mo.
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2010, 10:01:16 pm »
I have done exactly what Pat said, it works great..... but it does eventually turn pink on white woods, lol...Brian
When you complement a lady on her dress.....make sure she is the one wearing it.....

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2010, 10:11:53 pm »
i would agree with Patb if you have a 1/4 hickory make it a bow , bamboo backin would give the same results as hickory by it self , strong tension, weak compression although the bamboo is prob stronger than hickory. slap that boo on some ipe and you'll be happy !!

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 11:34:19 pm »
I looked all over the pasture today and found about 10 berries. Crushed them and added a little alcohol. I put it on a piece of hickory scrap. All I can say is YUCK!!!!  :D It turned the wood pink ::) I let it sit out in the sun this afternoon and you're right. It faded out. Thanks Pat B for the heads up. I'll keep tillering the Hickory on out ;) Thanks for the help y'all. ;)

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2010, 12:57:41 am »
I like to hand rub charcoal dust and bear grease into hickory. Gives a nice subtle washed look and cuts the bright white hickory. I have done it with water too but it raises the grain of the wood. Cooking oil would probably work fine too.
  If you have black walnuts in your area, soak(maybe boil) the hulls in water and it will give you a rich dark brown stain that will last. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #6 on: September 16, 2010, 07:57:36 am »
 Since I don't have any bear grease, do you mix the cooking oil and dust together? If so, I'm assuming that it is small enough amout of oil to make paste to rub with? 

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #7 on: September 16, 2010, 08:55:00 am »
Pat- how will the black walnut dye store? 
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #8 on: September 16, 2010, 09:10:02 am »
Apparently in the old days they would use urine to fix the dye, don't know if you want to pee on your bow though  :)
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2010, 08:54:28 pm »
Apparently in the old days they would use urine to fix the dye, don't know if you want to pee on your bow though  :)

:o Naaaaaaa. I think I'll pass on that one Marc ;D  Maybe a little doe in estrus urine? I'd always have a cover scent ;)

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #10 on: September 16, 2010, 09:36:02 pm »
 Jeff, I have some that has been in a jar for a year.lIt starts to get a rotten smell after a while. But after you rub it in the wood and let it sit outside the smell goes away.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2010, 10:35:25 pm »
eddie you got year old walnut stain or pee in the jar ? man i hope its walnut stain. lol

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: September 16, 2010, 11:05:16 pm »
 LOL, Walnut stain, Ken. ;D
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #13 on: September 16, 2010, 11:52:51 pm »
Made with alcohol or kept in the frig it should last a pretty good bit of time.
  HB61, It doesn't take much charcoal dust to get color. Use as much oil as you would to rub down the bow. You will wipe off the excess that doesn't work into the wood. The heat generated from hand rubbing helps the oil(and charcoal) get into the wood. You will have to play around with the mixture to get the color you want. It will not be dark color but more of an antique or washed look. 

Offline hillbilly61

• Fly straight and true
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 08:03:12 am »
So I can put as many coats on to get the look I want? The antique is about right. Does the oil seal the wood so I don't  have to put a urathane coat?