Author Topic: Possible issue  (Read 4067 times)

Offline Steve Milbocker

Possible issue
« on: September 14, 2010, 08:01:35 pm »
After shooting a 150 arrows or so, I noticed that one of the fades on the pyramid board bow has started to lift ever so slightly. I had read here where that could happen so before I installed the leather I wrapped the grip area with artificial sinew soaked in TB3,about 4" of solid wraps. Do you guys think it will stay put? How should I modify the design to prevent this in the future?
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Lombard

Re: Possible issue
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 08:57:16 pm »
Steve the caveat with artificial sinew is most of that stuff has a coating, and could cause you some problems with adhesion. I have had some success with linen and TB3, and with silk & plain old super glue, used for patches. You could always remove the artificial sinew and strip out some real sinew, and put it on with hide glue. Good luck with your project.

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 09:09:37 pm »
Steve the caveat with artificial sinew is most of that stuff has a coating, and could cause you some problems with adhesion. I have had some success with linen and TB3, and with silk & plain old super glue, used for patches. You could always remove the artificial sinew and strip out some real sinew, and put it on with hide glue. Good luck with your project.
It seems to be sticking quite well so far. As tight and as many wraps that there are,seems like it would hold even without glue. I guess we will see.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 11:49:29 pm »
If it is separating right where the fade tapers into the limb the bow is bending there. Until you stop the bending it will continue to separate. How steep are your fades? If they taper into the limb at a soft smooth angle they should bend some anyway. The fades are the transition between the bending and non bending areas of the bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2010, 06:25:21 am »
Like Pat said if it is bending in the fad where you cut back into the handle you may not be able to stop it, I always make mine about 1/2 inch out from the cut in for the handle and be sure it don't bend there.It is like a bad run off where you violated the longitudinal grain.Good luck. :) You have done about all you can do.  :) Time will tell.   
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2010, 08:07:01 am »
If it is separating right where the fade tapers into the limb the bow is bending there. Until you stop the bending it will continue to separate. How steep are your fades? If they taper into the limb at a soft smooth angle they should bend some anyway. The fades are the transition between the bending and non bending areas of the bow.
The fades feather into the limbs,a nice smooth radius. Its hard to see that it's even a glued on piece. As strong as the artificial sinew is and as many wraps as there are it's going to have to generate some serious pressure to get through that.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2010, 09:18:34 am »
Artificial sinew is very stretchy so it might not give you the support you are needing. A few other options is to remove the riser and add 3 or 4 thin layers of wood of graduated lengths for a new riser. This will give a little and that might be enough. Adding a flexible riser like leather or cork will bend with the bow. Will you post pics of the riser and a side view of the bow at brace and possibly full draw?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2010, 01:09:47 pm »
Artificial sinew is very stretchy so it might not give you the support you are needing. A few other options is to remove the riser and add 3 or 4 thin layers of wood of graduated lengths for a new riser. This will give a little and that might be enough. Adding a flexible riser like leather or cork will bend with the bow. Will you post pics of the riser and a side view of the bow at brace and possibly full draw?
http://www.primitivearcher.com/smf/index.php/topic,21443.0.html

I don't believe 4'' of solid wraps of artificial sinew is going to stretch any with a bow that only pulls 48#. These pics don't show a closeup of the risers side view, maybe I can get some posted. I think this will be a good experiment if I leave it be and let the chips fall where they may.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2010, 04:03:26 pm »
Set it in epoxy and it will cure what ails you. Going to look at your tiller again. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #9 on: September 15, 2010, 04:05:49 pm »
Nothing wrong with that tiller. Can you show us pictures of the problem? Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline George Tsoukalas

« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2010, 04:38:01 pm »
I had that same issue with BL bows many years ago. I may have had too much bending in the fade area. Steve, I just don't see that with your bow. But you do appear to have the fades bending a bit. That in itself is not a bad thing. Anyway, do the wrap. Jawge
Set Happens!

Offline Steve Milbocker

« Reply #11 on: September 15, 2010, 08:11:15 pm »
I had that same issue with BL bows many years ago. I may have had too much bending in the fade area. Steve, I just don't see that with your bow. But you do appear to have the fades bending a bit. That in itself is not a bad thing. Anyway, do the wrap. Jawge
I did the wrap George before I ever finished the bow just in case, it's under the grip. So far you can just feel where the lower fade has lifted with your fingernail but thats it so far. As far as pics of the problem, our camera isn't good enough to show it. It's even hard to see, you can just feel it with your fingernail. I probably put another 50 or so arrows through it tonight.
« Last Edit: September 15, 2010, 08:17:10 pm by Steve Milbocker »