Author Topic: sweet little 60" seneca replica  (Read 4223 times)

Offline elk country rp

sweet little 60" seneca replica
« on: September 14, 2010, 12:02:09 am »
i started this little gem a long time ago- for some reason (like tillering by adjusting scallops with hand tools) this one took awhile to tiller. it's 60" ntn, ~1 1/4" wide at fades (?), 1/2" thick, and is a kick in the pants to shoot! i had planned to decorate it up like the one on pg 61 of TBB vol 2, but after shooting it a bunch, i kinda like it as is. the grip is a few layers of leather glued on & wrapped with some deer braintan.

i originally had it straight & un-toasted, but had some stack issues & it felt wimpy, so i toasted the center 2/3's of the belly (it was bending too much in the handle) & flipped the tips. wow! i love what that did! now it feels like a solid 60# plus at full draw. i think i'm only drawing it to 28" (the old lack of confidence in a bow until i shoot it 100 times thing again), but i'm fairly accurate with it to 20yds & it's alot of fun to shoot!

it only has 1 1/2" of set after shooting, which amazes me considering its length. now i just need to figure out how to finish the tips & pretty it up just a tiny bit.

thanks Rich!
Rob

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Steve Milbocker

Re: sweet little 60" seneca replica
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2010, 12:41:07 am »
Great job Rob. That design looks very labor intensive.
I'm no where near as smart as my phone!

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2010, 01:27:54 am »
Rob there you go again!!You put out some beautiful bows.I got a few in the works but after that its back to the maple backed cherry.I think i can make it work!!
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2010, 01:39:41 am »
Very nice. Built one myself awhile back and agree they are fun to shoot.
N2
Genesis 27: 3

Offline elk country rp

« Reply #4 on: September 14, 2010, 01:54:14 am »
thanks guys! every little detail i've read here comes in handy eventually. these little bows are definitely labor intensive  >:D , but worth every drop of sweat!

i kinda wanna go kill something with it now.......

Online Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: September 14, 2010, 06:37:03 am »
Cool bow, Lots of bend for such a short bow,tiller looks great.What kind of wood is it ?
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: September 14, 2010, 07:14:15 am »
Very nice work. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Del the cat

• Derek Hutchison Native Wood Self Bows
« Reply #7 on: September 14, 2010, 08:45:36 am »
Look out there's a Wolf behind you!
Del (nice bow too)
Health warning, these posts may contain traces of nut.

Offline Postman

« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2010, 10:47:59 am »
good stuff!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Lombard

« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2010, 10:57:40 am »
Nice tiller. Those bows are unique for sure.

Offline half eye

« Reply #10 on: September 14, 2010, 11:57:14 am »
elk country,
       Very sweet, about your question regarding a "tiny bit" of decoration. The senneca bows sometimes had the feather roaches tied to the scallop points. Ya wouldn't have to go to that extreme (especially for huntin) but .....maybe one or two maribu (or turkey allula  feather) "wind indicators" tied on in the same fasion? Drilling a small hole in the scallop tips wont hurt the bow. A lot of the woodland bows had either diamond shaped finials or asymetric "keystone" shapes.....kinda looks like ya have enough wood for that option if yer so inclined.
      Another thing I have put on some of my whitetail bows is to tie on a "roach" like the wind indicator only I make these out of deer tarsial glands.....people gonna look at ya funny but the deer like them...........I think if I was huntin elk ya might want yer head on a swivel if ya got a tarsial gland anywhere near ya, cause a bull elk wantin fight or lovin maybe could put a bad hurt on ya. ;D

really nice stick
rich

Offline swamp yeti

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 12:04:19 pm »
That is one beautiful bow.

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 12:15:54 pm »
Yep, that's my kind of bow. Thanks for sharing.
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline elk country rp

« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2010, 01:46:25 pm »
pappy- it's quarter sawn maple from the lumberyard. i was a little intimidated trying to get so much from a shorty- my comfort zone is more like 70" for a bow! thankfully, there's no shortage of encouragement here to motivate me!

George- thank you!

del- that wolf has taken many chunks of flesh outta me! i've been her favorite chew toy for 15 years now. we still like to mess with the tourists occasionally & have her "attack" me on resort property (in strategic, conspicuous locations). it's great fun when the front desk staff calls me to chew me out for panicking the city folk!

Postman, Lombard, thank you!

HOKY SMOKES RICH!!!  great idea! i still have a gland in the back of the truck from the cow i shot opening weekend! i don't think i'll put it on this bow (trading this one for a sweet pair of mocs soon), but the ol' quiver might get a bit stinky real soon. i've been asking the local ravens (closest thing to a turkey around here) if they'd like to donate any feathers for this bow, but so far they haven't been in a giving mood....

swamp, prof, thanks guys!

i wanna take this opportunity to thank everyone involved with Primitive Archer for giving us such a great place to learn & share our obsession! i truly appreciate it,
Rob

Offline aero86

« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2010, 02:02:20 pm »
dang it del, you stole my corny joke!  lol

NICE BOW!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.