Author Topic: Phases of the moon and hunting  (Read 6349 times)

Offline tgr

Phases of the moon and hunting
« on: September 13, 2010, 12:13:00 am »
I've been told of the different movement of deer during the full moon etc.  We have a full moon the weekend of 10/23.  This is a week after our Southern NYS season starts and I think still pre-rut.  Any one care to weigh in on their experiences  and what to expect?

Tom R

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Phases of the moon and hunting
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2010, 12:35:22 pm »
I have hunted during all moon phases with the same results from all; sometime you see deer and sometimes not. I think a solunar table would tell you the better hunting times, no matter what phase the moon is in. When the moon it straight overhead or directly 180 degrees from there are the best "feeding" times and when the moon of at either horizon are the next best. Deer have to eat and even during a full moon.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

JustinNC

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2010, 01:23:05 pm »
I've been told of the different movement of deer during the full moon etc.  We have a full moon the weekend of 10/23.  This is a week after our Southern NYS season starts and I think still pre-rut.  Any one care to weigh in on their experiences  and what to expect?

Tom R

I enjoy hunting on a full moon. I can get by without charging my spotlight if it's clear and crisp. ;D

I think Pat hit the nail on the head. While they move at night a lot no doubt. Directly overhead and directly under foot are what Ive been told are good times to hunt during the moon. I see a lot of deer mid day riding about while working during a full moon. Exceptions to every rule and that time of year, all bets are off anyway.

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2010, 03:12:45 pm »
Ill go out on a limb here and say it makes a huge difference. I have watched the lunar phases while hunting and I will say that for the most part the calendars are spot on. Keep in mind that it isn't only the moon that actually affects hunting, it is the sun, the mood, their relation to each other and their proximity to the location.  They have to be calculated for each location. Having said that, not only can they tell you which days are better hunting, they can also tell you what time the game will be moving. I don't let the lunar calendars stop me from hunting, but if I am planning ahead, I use the calendars to do it.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline tgr

« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2010, 07:02:28 pm »
Any particular website used to calculate the times?

kinkfeather

« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2010, 07:07:23 pm »
i am sure the moon phases have alot to do with deer movement.i have hunted in the evening on full moon an seen very few deer.one time during the full moon got out of my stand 10 minutes before legal hunting was to end went to my truck went home an forgot my back pack.ate supper with my family an about 10 pm when back to get my back pack an seen 13 deer in the field i was hunting.they ran back to the woods under my stand.deer do not like to stay in a woods in the dark.they like to go to open fields at night.they can see better,hear,smell better if they need to run they can.has anyone read whitetail wisdom it is a good one.now i have found that deer like to feed later in the mornings on a full moon.i am sure deer feed 3 different times a day.they just do not go to bed an stay beded down all day.they get up an move around drink water or eat.they are like cows or sheep they are graziers.when it is hot i do not see deer much except around watering holes.during the prerut alot of movement.rut anything goes.post rut hard to bowhunt.they are nervous as a cat on a hot tin roof.kink

Offline sailordad

« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2010, 07:20:47 pm »
well i used to get what was called sportsmans calender.
it had all the moon phases and what times on each day that were good better best for fishing and hunting.
i havent used one in about 8-10 yrs now,my gps that i bought back then and ever since then have all that data built in.
one thing i can say about the times and dates mine show,for the excellent days and times i always see alot of game on them days at those times.
but that doesnt mean i fill tags,its still a matter of being in the right spot at the right time and not getting busted in the process
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2010, 11:25:38 pm »
I have spent a great deal of time and money researching just this subject.  I have determined it is best to hunt whenever you have the time.  Yup.

:-\
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2010, 11:30:32 pm »
  I have determined it is best to hunt whenever you have the time.  Yup.

:-\

I could not agree more......... ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2010, 11:43:07 pm »
well i used to get what was called sportsmans calender.
it had all the moon phases and what times on each day that were good better best for fishing and hunting.
i havent used one in about 8-10 yrs now,my gps that i bought back then and ever since then have all that data built in.
one thing i can say about the times and dates mine show,for the excellent days and times i always see alot of game on them days at those times.
but that doesnt mean i fill tags,its still a matter of being in the right spot at the right time and not getting busted in the process
I use the one built into my GPS also. It tells me the time so I started watching even when I wasn't hunting. I have watched herds of elk get up out of their bed within five minutes of when it said they would and bed down again within minutes of when it said. Native peoples all over the world have used lunar calendars of their own making for planting and harvesting for many centuries, I believe they were using them for hunting also.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline sailordad

« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2010, 11:54:57 pm »
Justin, thats what i do for preseason scouting
just get to the area i want to scout about 30 mins before the time my GPs says to be out
and just watch,amazing how accurate that thing realy is
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline tgr

« Reply #11 on: September 14, 2010, 09:54:35 pm »
Found and interesting "Solunar Calendar" in the In Fisherman website.  I read that there is the same effect for hunting and fishing.
TR

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #12 on: September 14, 2010, 10:10:54 pm »
Here it will be an OK day with the best times to hunt being 12-2 in the morning and 12-2 in the afternoon. There will also be good hunting from 6-7 AM and 6:30-7:30 PM. I don't know how it changes in the 2000 miles from here to there.  ;D

SW Utah

Offline tgr

« Reply #13 on: September 15, 2010, 07:10:26 pm »
I would assume that the position of the sun and moon are the same considering the earth is spinning.  So the times might not change. Does that make sense?
TR

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #14 on: September 15, 2010, 07:19:04 pm »
I would assume that the position of the sun and moon are the same considering the earth is spinning.  So the times might not change. Does that make sense?
TR
Mostly, but you are at a different longitude and latitude so I make no guarantee. Whatever else you do make sure you are in the stand from just before noon to just after 2.

SW Utah