Author Topic: What Inspires me (odd random thoughs, with your indulgence)  (Read 23030 times)

Offline Dane

What Inspires me (odd random thoughs, with your indulgence)
« on: April 18, 2007, 08:38:03 pm »
Hi, everyone. Okay, I've been around long enough to maybe pester all of you with a few observations about what really inspires me to go create something, including...well, bows and arrows :) Maybe this won't be too strange a thread or topic - I've been a bit our of sorts lately because of the hours at work have been non-stop (or seemingly so), and since I write for a living, and deadlines don't care if you are not feeling creative, it is draining!

1. Shaker stuff, and other beautiful examples of craftsmenship. I am very lucky, in that I live within driving distance of Hancock Shaker Villiage, near Pittsfield, MA. Walking the grounds, and seeing the buildings, the household goods, the dry stonework and the colors in the various buildings, the cool plasterwork and the cast iron stoves, all of it is just breathtaking. I have a book here called The Shakers: Hands To Work Hearts to God, by Amy Stechler Burns and Ken Burns. (Yes, that Ken Burns). Glancing through the book was and is incredibly inspiring. Go to the library and check it out. What they did with their hands and simple hand tools is very much in the spirit of primitive archery.

2. JS Bach.

3. Zen Buddism

4. My pug Davenport.

5. But mostly, I want to point you to one of the strangest and most inspiring books I have ever read, The Aesthetics of the Japanese Lunchbox, by Kenji Ekuan, MIT Press. I found it in a used bookstore, formally a mill, and the construction of that structure alone is awesome to look at and investigate. If you get a chance to read this book, you may want to kill me, or may feel kind of how I do. I'm not even sure how to explain what this book is about, except that he argues this "lunchbox theory" for all kinds of designs and objects created by man, the lunchbox being a small lacquered compartmentalized wooden box, about a foot square and divided into four equal compartments, black in color. Some of the chapters are titled "Techology of Order: the Buddhist Home Alter and the Department Store," "Techology to Cope With Environment: Nature and Seasons in an Air-Conditioned Culture," and "The Ultimate Spirit of Service - Heart of the Merchant."

Here are Ekuan's 10 axioms of lunchbox structure, and I do view this, in many ways, as being applicable to bow design and bow making.

1. Beauty of Form - drive to make stylishness and beauty a primary function
2. Functional Multiplicity - belief in "the more functions the better"
3. Equipment Exciting Creativity - popular appeal yielding the broadest possible application of an object and its creative uses
4. Prototype - an exacting model promoting sound fabrication and generating ideas of use
5. Unification in Diversity - a sense of order ensuring maximal inclusion and effective arrangement
6. All-Inclusive Enhancement - pluarality in each element vividely brought to life
7. Profusion of Enjoyment - development capacity from which new types of enjoyment emerge
8. Ultimate Adapability - meeting needs in terms of time, quality, and quantity
9. Waste-avoiding Culture - a sense of design consistent with enviornmentally sensative lifestyle
10. Generosity - richness born from an ultmate spirit of service

Okay, back to bow building. Thanks everyone for indulging me. And feel free to call me crazy :)

Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: What Inspires me (odd random thoughs, with your indulgence)
« Reply #1 on: April 18, 2007, 08:54:46 pm »
Very nice. Thanks for sharing. Shaker furniture and Bach are high on my list too. Pitsfield, MA ha. Are you going to Stockbridge. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #2 on: April 18, 2007, 08:55:10 pm »
...OK.............yur crazy ! like a fox ! ;) ;).......bob

Offline Ryano

• Ryan O'Sullivan, North Western Pennsylvania
« Reply #3 on: April 18, 2007, 11:34:32 pm »
huh? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ??? ::)
Its November, I'm gone hunt'in.......
Osage is still better.....

Broken Arrow

« Reply #4 on: April 19, 2007, 03:39:10 am »
I gotcha.  I think that means Im crazy too. 

Offline DanaM

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2007, 07:03:44 am »
Not crazy Dane, just a free individual thats not afraid to walk his own path and not be a
sheep blindly following the herd like most folks do. Self expression is one reason this country was
founded. Thanks for sharing.

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2007, 08:30:30 am »
Deep,real deep. :-\
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #7 on: April 19, 2007, 08:44:49 am »
I can and do on occasion enjoy classical music. I like lots of the old styles of furniture inclucing Shaker. To be honest, I doubt the book would have ever caught my eye in the first place in order to purchase it. But I'm sure it would tend to make one think outside the box! :)
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #8 on: April 19, 2007, 08:48:46 am »
Kinda gotcha, except I'm more inspired by Waylon, Molly Hatchet, and Pantera than Bach, and  I've had more formative cultural exposure to snake-handling pentecostals than Zen Buddists lol. I did study the aesthetic principles of bonsai and Japanese garden design at one point, much the same as your lunchbox axioms. And if you're gonna be inspired by a dog, your pug Davenport is much less disturbing than being inspired by coversations with the neighbor's dog named Sam  ;D

Hill-what is the sound of one bow limb snapping -Billy
« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 11:08:48 am by Hillbilly »
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #9 on: April 19, 2007, 02:35:35 pm »

Hillbilly, you're always good for a good laugh! ;D
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline Dane

« Reply #10 on: April 19, 2007, 03:23:32 pm »
Hey guys, sorry if all that was a bit obtuse and rambling. That is what you get when you work way too long, maybe? I haven't really touched any wood in months, but maybe things will slow down a bit.

As for the Southern bow sock, that will happen really soon, Greg, so dont worry about that. :)

Dane

duffontap

« Reply #11 on: April 19, 2007, 03:33:48 pm »
Thanks for the inspiration Dane.  I totally feel you on this.

'Beauty of Form' really rings true to me.  In Archery, what is the most beautiful is very often the most functional.  For example: massive-tipped, rustic viking bows as compared to the extremely refined Mary Rose bows.  My wife candidly critiques ugly bows--so I have built-in accountability to keep my work up to par aesthetically.  Functionality naturally follows. 

By the way Dane, if you haven't read The Witchery of Archery, you need to drop what you're doing and read it right now.  Now Dane.

J. D. Duff

Offline Dane

« Reply #12 on: April 19, 2007, 03:37:04 pm »
Thanks much, JD.

Can I at least pick it up before I read it? I promise to very soon, however.

Dane

duffontap

« Reply #13 on: April 19, 2007, 03:57:22 pm »
No, just read it.  Ha, ha.  3riversarchery.com has is for about 7 bucks.  Take care.

J. D. Duff

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #14 on: April 19, 2007, 05:11:03 pm »
It is a good book-my favorite chapter was "A Treatise on Shooting Woodpeckers"  ;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.