Author Topic: Adjusting Arrow Weight  (Read 2533 times)

Offline agd68

Adjusting Arrow Weight
« on: September 09, 2010, 09:24:46 am »
Good Day All
I've been considering an old English technique of pinning a shaft with small metal pins to increase its weight. Where do you think these pins should go, towards the point, more centre or towards the nock end ?
Happiness is..
A wet lab, dirty gun, and a cold beer after a day on the Marsh

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
Re: Adjusting Arrow Weight
« Reply #1 on: September 09, 2010, 01:32:33 pm »
I would imagine that weight is better added to the front but I would rather wrap wire around the shaft instead of pinning it.  Seems like the pins might weaken the arrow.  JMO
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline Tom Leemans

« Reply #2 on: September 09, 2010, 02:32:22 pm »
The standard craze these days is weight forward. I'm with Jack on this one. I wouldn't put pins in the shaft. Upsetting the grain integrity doesn't sound wise. May have gotten away with it on 1/2" diameter war arrows, but I just wouldn't do it. I would just use a heavier point and kill two birds, as it were. Now, how much weight? There has be a point of diminishing returns, somewhere along the way.

Offline 4est Trekker

« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2010, 12:20:39 am »
Here's an easy and predictable way to add weight.  1" in brass tubing that will fit over a 5/16" shaft will yield around 80 grains.  And yes, up front is best.  However, the more weight you add up front the more you weaken the effective spine of the arrow. 

"Walk softly, and carry a bent stick."

"And whatever you do, whether in word or deed, do it all in the name of the Lord Jesus Christ, giving thanks to God the Father through him."  Col. 3:17

Offline aaron

« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2010, 01:05:44 pm »
my hunting arrows have obsidian points which are light compared to steel- i don't want bigger points so i add a little weight by mixing some lead shavings with epoxy and using that to haft the point- doesn't add much, but a little.
i often wondered if you could put a short lead rod in the shaft by drilling a hole into the front end of the shaft- paralell to the shaft and in the center-...
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2010, 12:17:39 am »
3Rivers sells a kit that helps you to center the drill bit on your arrow shaft for just that very task, aaron.  Gotta be better for making sure your weight was centered on the rotation of the shaft.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.