Author Topic: Recovery Osage  (Read 5967 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Recovery Osage
« on: August 30, 2010, 01:14:33 am »
After breaking my crooked osage bow, I began making a takedown.  Before I could finish I received a call from a man from church who wanted me to build a bow for his son-in-law out of bodark.  He was very specific, not osage... bodark.  Maybe he was thinking bois d'arc, but I don't think so.  I got a chuckle out of that.   Anyway, I was so gung ho I got to tillering too fast and hinged the upper limb, you can see it here on the right:

I contemplated starting over, but then remembered the sister billet I had worked to a growth ring for my crooked bow takedown.  I began to think that maybe I could recover from the earlier blunder. The billet was pressed into service and Z-splices were cut in it and the original lower limb which hopefully had enough wood left for 50lbs of draw weight.  The splice came out pretty well:

I tillered as carefully as I could, but could not get 50lbs.  After cutting a couple inches off the bow it came out to 47lbs@28" and 64" long.  Not sure if that tiller is good enough to take a couple more inches off the length.

I was trying to time that last picture and get full draw, but I wasn't quick enough.   I'm going to try and get him to shoot it before I do anything, he may like it that weight.   I still need to clean up the handle and add some tip overlays.  Thinking about mule deer antler again.

I wish it were better, but I'm glad it's a bow.  I'm still wondering if it could handle being shorter to get a couple more pounds, what do you think?  There is no backing on it.

Thanks,

George
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 09:46:27 pm by gstoneberg »
St Paul, TX

Offline Thwackaddict

Re: Recovery Osage
« Reply #1 on: August 30, 2010, 02:11:26 am »
Great job!! i think you could take an inch off each end and that should get you over 50?I am a fan of antler tip overlays ;D my buddy jus gave me a whole bag full of tips and small antlers.
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #2 on: September 01, 2010, 10:55:32 am »
Whew, I did take another inch off the bow and it lives!  I never did weigh it, maybe later today.   Here's Dwayne, shooting his bow for the first time early this morning.

Still needs the finishing touches, but I think it is gonna work.

George
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 10:05:35 pm by gstoneberg »
St Paul, TX

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #3 on: September 01, 2010, 02:41:11 pm »
i can't see any pictures
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #4 on: September 01, 2010, 03:49:12 pm »
Me either???  Ah-ha, the web server died for some reason on my home linux server.  I just restarted it  That should be better.

Thanks for letting me know.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #5 on: September 01, 2010, 07:03:59 pm »
now I see them. Great job!
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline Alpinbogen

« Reply #6 on: September 01, 2010, 08:23:39 pm »
Looks nice.  Great save and great way to recycle a blunder.  (Must have missed that earlier.)    :)

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #7 on: September 01, 2010, 10:57:19 pm »
Good job george! Looks great,what ya goin finish er up with?

Southwest,VA

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #8 on: September 01, 2010, 11:49:12 pm »
We talked about using some cedar heartwood for tip overlays.  I can bring some home from the lease this weekend.  I hope to cut a couple for staves too.  ;)   He wants the limbs unbacked so I'll likely take the easy way out and spray it with poly.  I'm going to wrap the splice with thread for strength and then do a basic handle wrap.  It'll be a pretty simple bow, but both of us like it that way.

He has a son that is chomping at the bit to build a bow.  Hopefully he'll bring him over and we can get going on that.  More fun coming!!

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #9 on: September 02, 2010, 01:45:47 am »
sounds like fun,good lord willin i hope to take a hog with this bow while i'm down there.The ultimate hommage i think!!

Southwest,VA

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #10 on: September 02, 2010, 08:31:43 am »
I'd like that.  One of the things I'm doing this weekend is setting up a couple more bow stands.  The lease was just set up for rifle when I got on but that's changing.  I don't have any 2-person sets yet though.  Gotta work on that for you and Parker.

George
St Paul, TX

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #11 on: September 03, 2010, 01:24:07 am »
Thanks man,that sounds great!I'm chompin at da bit to get down there.Shot my bow some more this evening.I like it more and more everytime i pick it up.It makes me smile ;D ;D

Southwest,VA

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #12 on: September 03, 2010, 06:13:45 am »
Nice fix! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Postman

« Reply #13 on: September 04, 2010, 05:44:31 pm »
Never tried a splice, it looks good.  Nice save, and  good luck on the lease!
"Leave the gun....Take the cannoli"

John Poster -  Western VA

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2010, 11:01:52 pm »
The lease was a bust for hunting, no hogs.  I think the recent storm knocked some acorns down early and the hogs are busy gorging themselves.  I finally made some progress on finishing up this bow.  Did a wrap on the handle to reinforce the splice:

The picture revealed that I need some more super glue to finish gluing the wrap down.   I like the blue against the osage, too bad my handle wrap leather is black.

This was my first try using mesquite for a tip overlay.  I think I like it.

Hoping to finish the bow up tomorrow.

George
« Last Edit: December 02, 2011, 10:08:45 pm by gstoneberg »
St Paul, TX