Author Topic: dimensions for a Viking bow replica?  (Read 36411 times)

duffontap

Re: dimensions for a Viking bow replica?
« Reply #30 on: April 19, 2007, 11:21:24 pm »
Ha, ha Jaro.  Well, at least you know where you stand.   ;D ;D  I still stand by what I said.

Do you know of any replicas that do not have a bottom nock?  The information provided above suggested that there was no bottom nock but the string was tied onto the deflexed tip and stayed there by tension.  Is that possible?

J. D. Duff

Offline jpitts

« Reply #31 on: April 20, 2007, 01:35:29 am »
Jaro,
I can't wait to read your chapter too. The pics of you and the other men rowing, was that part of a festival ? Any other pics? That's an impressive pic shooting the bow. That had to be one heck of a bush. Do you have a close up of the bow braced?
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

sagitarius boemoru

« Reply #32 on: April 20, 2007, 07:59:33 am »
J.D. The big bow is the only one without one nock groove. The string can be tied there, but its rather difficult.

http://asgard.tgorod.ru/image/arr2/p7.jpg
http://asgard.tgorod.ru/image/arr2/p8.jpg

Check these two pictures. The idea is about this - you make string and put the loop above the pin, which marks correct lenght, found empirically. Then you tie the lower end. When you brace, the setup is correct and doesnt need any adjustement. This is particulary useful if you happen to break lots of strings or if you need to render the weapon shootable in combat situation quickly, which is likely the cause.

Jaro

sagitarius boemoru

« Reply #33 on: April 20, 2007, 08:10:39 am »
Jimmy, here you go, thats the picture along with my ugly wolfish face. I used deflexed part of stave for lower limb.

http://sweb.cz/hawkwind/brace1.JPG

Mind you, this is english bow, its only interesting in this debate, as its quite short for its sturdiness, such like the viing bow were.
(Short is relative word a longbow of 72´´ and 100# is relativelly short and thick piece of wood.)

Jaro

duffontap

« Reply #34 on: April 20, 2007, 10:40:09 pm »
Thanks again Jaro.  I like the series of half-hitches (?) on the lower limb.  I'll need to forge an iron nail as well I suppose. 

J. D. Duff

Offline jpitts

« Reply #35 on: April 23, 2007, 12:26:50 am »
Thanks Jaro,
She definitely has a rugged " No Nonsense" look. A warriors weapon.
Jimmy / Dallas, Georgia

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #36 on: April 23, 2007, 07:17:01 am »
hi finish native!  -  if you can read german you may want to buy the german 'bogenbauerbuch'; among others it has one great article about vikingbows and their dimensions. let me know.

cheers, frank
Frank from Germany...

sagitarius boemoru

« Reply #37 on: April 23, 2007, 03:28:16 pm »
Frank that 70# viking bow in bogenbauer buch has tiler off.

Jaro

a finnish native

« Reply #38 on: April 23, 2007, 03:59:22 pm »
damn! why did I choose not to study German.. I also found a very old mein kampf from our basement.. It was printed before the second world war. I sure hope I could read German..  :'(
not that I'm a racist or anything. just interested  ;)

Offline D. Tiller

• Go ahead! Bend that stick! Make my day!!!
    • Whidbey Island Soap Co.
« Reply #39 on: April 23, 2007, 04:50:17 pm »
Worth some money these days. But have to say as reading material it would be the only book I ever thought worth using to start a fire with.  ;D
“People are less likely to shoot at you if you smile at them” - Mad Jack Churchill

duffontap

« Reply #40 on: April 25, 2007, 01:47:07 am »
Jaro,

How long is the big bow between the nocks?  179cm?  I'm making slow progress.  Is there a picture of a replica with correct tiller I can work off of?  I am basically going for the english war bow width taper with the tips and handles sized according to the specs in the above article.  Should I go for a circular tiller with stiffer tips?

J. D. Duff

duffontap

« Reply #41 on: April 25, 2007, 03:24:16 am »
I think that the big bow with its 191 cm of lenght and some 180 cm of effective could work well for draw of 30´´. (Or better could be tilered there). They have width taper similar to later english warbows, which makes them circular in shape.
Jaro

My mistake, you already answered my questions. 

J. D. Duff