Author Topic: dimensions for a Viking bow replica?  (Read 36413 times)

duffontap

Re: dimensions for a Viking bow replica?
« Reply #15 on: April 17, 2007, 03:53:51 pm »
Perhaps I'll shoot for around a 80-100# then.  Man, you're right about those tips.  Three times bigger than they need to be.  These bows are very primitive compared to the English war bows.  One thing I do like is that they were made from bough wood.  I have some third-rate boughs I've been wondering what to do with.  This is a perfect project for making use of knotty limbs.

J. D. Duff

sagitarius boemoru

« Reply #16 on: April 17, 2007, 04:00:19 pm »
The wood on big bow is actually quite decent. I have seen it myself. They are not made from bough, but likelly from sapplings and the ringcount on these isnt bad, because the sapwood is really thin (3-5 mm). If its baltic yew such as from Polland or some stuff from north sea shore it can have good density...
Also consider that if you start with small diameter material you have much stiffer beam to wrok with. Two bows of same dimensions and wood, one from large and another small diameter stuff - small diameter can be as much as 20percent stiffer.

I have good theory where the thick tips appeared on these bows, or why and I have other early medieval bows examples with the same approach.
But enough spoilers, you got to wait for TTBB4

:D

Jaro
« Last Edit: April 17, 2007, 04:02:43 pm by sagitarius boemoru »

duffontap

« Reply #17 on: April 17, 2007, 06:30:52 pm »
I'm looking forward to your chapter Jaro.  Thanks for the info on wood quality.  From the pictures it's obvious that the staves aren't 'super clean' and that's all I was talking about.  The boughs I have will run over 100 rings per inch up to 150-200 in some cases so density is no issue.  They just aren't going to make clean-lined English long bows. 

How do you think these heavy bows were braced?  They have a side nock that was tied to right?

J. D. Duff

sagitarius boemoru

« Reply #18 on: April 17, 2007, 06:52:29 pm »
I think they used sort of step-in method for bracing. The nocks on originals are simple cut in gooves, without any reinforcements like sinew patch under nock to avoid splitting as we see on modern replicas. The nocks are on opposite sides naturally. :)
The big bow is from only 4 cm diameter stock, the marrow chanell runs actually whole lenght in and only comes out on one end in the nock area.
The lower part of the tree is upper part of the bow, if this helps.

I dont think yew it is made of has 100 rings/inch, but it can be around 60 which is decent for european yew, which is stiffer than pacific.
The rings on big bow are not visible and the line marking the sapwood is relativelly faint.
But! I dont think they actually chased rings down on staves. They found a yew sapling on prefered soil type, which they knew will have sapwood thin (means also high ringcount), cut it down and made into bow. The back is perfectly smooth, the belly is scraped and has toolmarks.

I think that the big bow with its 191 cm of lenght and some 180 cm of effective could work well for draw of 30创. (Or better could be tilered there). They have width taper similar to later english warbows, which makes them circular in shape.

So as I made me recently 69创 longbow, which is 90#/30创 from second rate yew with lots of sapwood on it, I think its doable 100#  + range.

http://sweb.cz/hawkwind/myyewbow.JPG

Jaro

duffontap

« Reply #19 on: April 18, 2007, 02:11:39 am »
Jaro,

That's a heck of a bow.  Your stave doesn't look that bad at all.  Did you say it was pacific yew?  You should post that on the Englishwarbow.com.

Thanks for your help.  I'll probably ask you more questions as I get into the project. 

J. D. Duff

sagitarius boemoru

« Reply #20 on: April 18, 2007, 09:16:06 am »
No, J.D. its a bough from a bush which was buldozed under my window. Half of it is sap, one side 2创 reflex another 2创 deflex...and twisted too.
The braced shape looks funny.

http://sweb.cz/hawkwind/myyewbowbrace.JPG

It only comes round at fulldraw. I stopped going to warbow forum.

Jaro

duffontap

« Reply #21 on: April 18, 2007, 04:06:27 pm »
Interesting Jaro.  That is a pretty rustic looking stave from the look in that pic.  You sure did it justice.  How much net string follow did you end up with? 

I decided to use a small-diameter trunk section for this viking bow.  It's about 2" at the small end and 3 1/2" at the large end.  I have 76" to work with so I can nip a little off to make a fairly accurate replica.  I've got the bark off and the stave blocked-out now so I'll be roughing it out today.  I don't know if it will hold because there are some knots on the back.  It has about 30-50 rings per inch but good density.  A 2" cut-off floats flush with the surface of the water (that's a decent test isn't it?).

Thanks for your help.  I'll keep people posted on a seperate thread on my progress. 

J. D. Duff

sagitarius boemoru

« Reply #22 on: April 18, 2007, 04:39:02 pm »
Well...set. I dont think there is really much of it...I destroyed much of the reflex in tiler and by heat and I repaired some of deflex. But the deflexed part is cast killer along with so much sapwood....

Jaro

Offline Kviljo

• Archaeologist, Antitheist
« Reply #23 on: April 18, 2007, 07:32:27 pm »
That's pretty hefty for only 69" :)
How wide and thick is it?

Going to make myself a elm Hedeby-replica now. Thanks for all the info folks! This was great :)

Offline Dane

« Reply #24 on: April 18, 2007, 08:00:29 pm »
Wow, I had no idea this link would create such excitment. Glad I'm not the only one interested in Viking bows. I wish I could recall who pointed it to me, so whoever he was, thanks.

If any of you get a chance, read about the history of Hedeby, and the people who lived and traded there. To go a-viking was not toally widespread in the Norse culture, a specific act for various reasons, and they were far from just pirates. Women had more rights, including divorce and property ownership, then the rest of Europe, and the Thing alone makes that culture worth studying.
Greenfield, Western Massachusetts

sagitarius boemoru

« Reply #25 on: April 18, 2007, 09:24:11 pm »
But as a trading centre on one end of dry road on which oxen drawn ships over 45 miles of narrowest part of juttland pennisula (ta save 700 miles trip around it) it was to raiders as honey to bees. I think it was burned out 4 times.
The danewirke (the fortified road) is interesting though.

Thats me roving on drakkar in Hedaby

http://sweb.cz/hawkwind/hedeby-lod.jpg

Last lad on the left side at row.

And this is back of yours truly, Hedaby harbour in background. :D

http://sweb.cz/hawkwind/hedeby-veslovani.jpg

Jaro

Offline Dane

« Reply #26 on: April 18, 2007, 10:15:10 pm »
Truly, I am jealous! Thanks so much for sharing these photos, and the comments.

Dane

duffontap

« Reply #27 on: April 19, 2007, 03:37:06 pm »
For those who have not put two and two together:  Jaro will be authoring the 'War Bow' chapter in the forthcoming vol. 4 of the Bowyer's Bibles.  I can't think of anyone more qualified.  I for one am on the edge of my seat.

J. D. Duff

sagitarius boemoru

« Reply #28 on: April 19, 2007, 05:14:48 pm »
I can think about handfull of people more qualified than me. :)
But they are too bussy shooting, than to write book...

Jaro

« Last Edit: April 19, 2007, 08:01:55 pm by sagitarius boemoru »

Offline Dane

« Reply #29 on: April 19, 2007, 11:19:16 pm »
Jaro, I am very much looking forward to reading your chapter. Interacting with the author will make it all the better.

Dane