Author Topic: Selfbows or glass bows, or both?  (Read 8370 times)

Offline Bentstick81

Selfbows or glass bows, or both?
« on: August 26, 2010, 05:52:30 pm »
  I have just about lost all my hunting ground due to gun hunters, selling of properties, etc... Thought about selling my only glass bow, and go strictly with selfbows. No need for all the archery stuff anymore. Just wondering how many of you guys went to strictly selfbows? If i keep losing much more ground, i will probably give up hunting after my thirty plus years. Too many arrogant gun hunters out in the timber, anymore. The timber, and the hunting changes for the worst after gun season is over. How many people have went to selfbows ONLY?

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
Re: Selfbows or glass bows, or both?
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2010, 06:00:43 pm »
Perhaps you should start a poll.

I haven't hunted with a glass bow in nearly 30 years and I've never hunted with a wheelbow
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2010, 06:04:31 pm »
Marc ...you have to be a Mod or Admin to start a poll.  :) That's why I am now a Mod so i can start the poll in the BOM contest every month.  ;D 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2010, 06:15:23 pm »
I strictly hunt with bows made by my hand now. :)   This is my year for a deer too.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Bentstick81

« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2010, 06:51:18 pm »
I think that i am going to make the switch. The ones i have are around 43#-48#. You guys that made the switch, what type of quiver do you use?

Offline NTProf

« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2010, 07:28:59 pm »
I recently sold my compound because I needed the money, and I cannot afford a "glass" bow, so I will be hunting with my self and backed bows for some time to come.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2010, 07:29:36 pm »
I hunt with and shoot only selfbows. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2010, 07:56:20 pm »
Marc ...you have to be a Mod or Admin to start a poll.  :) That's why I am now a Mod so i can start the poll in the BOM contest every month.  ;D 

Wow, you serious?   I guess I've been an Admin for to long  :)
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Jesse

« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2010, 09:31:02 pm »
I've been hunting strictly with bows I have built for several years. I hunted one season with compound years ago but have been traditional only for 15+ years now. I say keep your glass bow as backup. I plan on hunting with a glass bow some this year.  Dont think glass vs. selfbow.  Use what you like and dont worry about what anyone else thinks. Too many people on here developed a dislike for bows other than selfbows based solely on sombody else opinion which they adapted as their own to be part of the "in" crowd here.  Thats my opinion. I could be wrong ;D
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2010, 10:10:35 pm »
iv'e been hunting with bows i build for two years and sold my glass bow and never looked back.
bryan irwin

Offline hammertime

• no shoes no shirt, no problems
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2010, 10:34:21 pm »
I mostly hunt with several self bows,switching back and forth it is truely rewarding getting game with bows/arrows you make yourself but I do have a glass bow I use for backup.and I know what it's like to loose hunting spots!Hammertime.

Offline brian_restivo

« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2010, 10:39:08 pm »
I just started hunting last year with a bow (osage flat). Love it. When out opening mornin'n with rifle but just took a knap and started hunting dogwood. It was boring compared to bow. I hunt alot of public land and next to never run in to any one bow hunting. Missouri has plenty of bow only or bow/black powder land. My friends and family all hunt with the wheels but.... 
Does it make me a hippocrate, typing here at my computer, when I call myself a neo luddite??

Offline brian_restivo

« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2010, 10:52:52 pm »
Ya... I guess my last post had nothing to do with glass bows but...   I'll never know what its like hunt with the glass. The bows you make will change you. I even risked a felony a year or two dove hunting to pick some hemp. Would your glass bow do that??     OK...   bad example.
Does it make me a hippocrate, typing here at my computer, when I call myself a neo luddite??

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2010, 11:50:53 pm »
AMEN Jesse ,i have nothing against a person hunting with any weapon they choose "to each his own" should be our motto. having said that i have 9 primitive bows in the line up for this season might never make it past the first but i'll change after i take a deer with one. who knows might even be able to make another before season gets here ! 16 days

Offline Bentstick81

« Reply #14 on: August 27, 2010, 12:24:24 am »
I don't have a thing against the glass bows ;). I just thought that i would sell my recurve due to me losing all my hunting ground >:(. Thought i might as well just shoot my selfbows. No need for me to keep all the archery tackle 8). Don't have much money in the selfbows. I've noticed that i seem to be shooting my selfbows a little better than my recurve, lately ;D.