Author Topic: ORM KOSS / Carved Mollegabet for Wolfsongforge...  (Read 14507 times)

Offline jonathan creason

Re: ORM KOSS / Carved Mollegabet for Wolfsongforge...
« Reply #15 on: August 25, 2010, 11:17:22 am »
Ho-lee crap that's one awesome bow!
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline Parnell

« Reply #16 on: August 25, 2010, 12:07:34 pm »
Very nice artwork on that bow.  Very impressive.
1’—>1’

half eye

« Reply #17 on: August 25, 2010, 12:16:44 pm »
Thank you for the nice comments. Like I said though it may not make it up to the weight we wanted so I might just have to build a second one....ought to know today sometime.

Maybe something that might help ya out some....if you are making 2 bows at the same time (different woods) dont cut them both at the same. I made a walnut backed maple at the same time (for Gothmog) and that bows is a hernia machine (pushin 70# at 28/29) so when I rough cut the this bow out of elm and the same thickness it came in too light.....just an old guy brain fart.
rich

Offline elk country rp

« Reply #18 on: August 25, 2010, 12:26:34 pm »
inspiring, Rich!!!

HatchA

« Reply #19 on: August 25, 2010, 12:27:10 pm »
Seriously beautiful work there man!  Be a shame to ditch even if it stays light  :(

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #20 on: August 25, 2010, 12:51:06 pm »
nice one! and if it is too light don't burn it ;)
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline zenmonkeyman

« Reply #21 on: August 25, 2010, 01:12:32 pm »
Another "turd bow", eh Rich?  ::)   ;D I hope you will not be too upset when you win LBOM with the help of my own humble vote.  Outstanding work!!!
If the ppl ever allow private banks to control their currency, 1st by inflation, then by deflation, the banks & corporations that will grow up around (these banks) will deprive the ppl of all property until their children wake up homeless on the continent their fathers conquered. Thomas Jefferson

half eye

« Reply #22 on: August 25, 2010, 02:51:48 pm »
Hey Scott,
       Actually the sting groves in these heads works very well....they hold positively but it is also easy to dismount as well. The dragon heads were based on some actual examples (mast racks) from the viking museum.Here's a pick of what they were based on.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline dragonman

• virabows.co.uk
« Reply #23 on: August 25, 2010, 02:59:59 pm »
Another nice mollegabet, beautiful work Rich. I really like those Viking style carvings,cool!! how you gonna add weight??
'expansion and compression'.. the secret of life is to balance these two opposing forces.......

Offline Gordon

« Reply #24 on: August 25, 2010, 05:25:01 pm »
Beautiful art work. I have to admit that when I first saw your carved bows I was certain the backs would fail. But they haven't. Clearly a testament to your fine skills as a bowyer.
Gordon

Offline bigcountry

« Reply #25 on: August 25, 2010, 05:52:51 pm »
I don't know if I have met anyone as skilled as you with carving.  You just seem to whip em out
Westminster, MD

Offline okiecountryboy

« Reply #26 on: August 25, 2010, 07:18:22 pm »
Rich
MAN-O-MAN!
I was tryin dragon head string nocks on some siyahs for an asian type bow.
Had some twist in the upper limb...tried to scrape it out...It snapped...Go figure.
They did'nt look near as good as yours, but you inspire me!!!!

If you are let down by ant light #age in the future I'll be happy to pm you my address. LOL!

You are an artist for all of us to learn from

God Bless

Ron
God, honor, country, bows, and guns.

half eye

« Reply #27 on: August 25, 2010, 07:35:32 pm »
Thanks again fellas,
    Scott@ That black color is basically 50/50 rit dye (dk brn & black) then sand the high spots and then rub in some lt brown regular stain.
    Dragonman@ I've cut some thin hard maple and glued it to the belly of the working limbs with diamond shaped fades up onto the grip and lever.
    Gordon@ Aint my bowyer skills.... it's the vertical grain and slow growth hardwood.
     Big Country@ Shallow reliefe carving is very easy to do....any of you fellas could do one or two scrap practice pieces and have it down pat.
    Okie@ The dragon heads on this bow are white ash, quartersawed, and the grain layed flat to the limbs. Holds up well even to "push-pull" stringing. I think it's the 3rd pic has a drawing, well a sketch really, if can download that you can print it out, then go to a zerox machine that enlarges/reduces and just keep running it through till ya got the right size for your siyah wood, piece of cake.
rich

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #28 on: August 25, 2010, 08:06:54 pm »
My friend, that's some-kind-o "sick nasty cool"  :D You are certainly a craftsman.
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #29 on: August 25, 2010, 08:07:22 pm »
Cool Bow Rich!  I really like seeing your carved ones.  :) 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln