Author Topic: Osage water damage question  (Read 2079 times)

Offline gstoneberg

Osage water damage question
« on: August 24, 2010, 01:58:27 am »
I'm trying to save my crooked osage bow by adding a new limb and making it into a takedown.  While working the new limb tonight I ran across some water damage in a way I've never seen before in osage.  It is dark orange wood that goes laterally through the limb following a growth ring about 3/8" down from the back's surface.  I think all of that out in the working part of the limb will be removed in  tillering, but it extends up into the handle.  My question is, do you think the limb is likely to fail where that damaged area comes out of the fade-out?  Maybe some pictures will help clarify what I'm asking.

Here is the damage line from the side of the billet (the lower limb is the one with the problem).  Note that I have not removed nearly enough wood yet and that the limb will likely be as thin as the damage all the way to where the limb thickens into the handle:

Here it shows at the tip, again the lower of the 2 limbs:

I'd hate to go all the way through fitting the takedown sleeve only to find out the limb fails.  Sadly, I have to fit the sleeve even to floor tiller.   I understand that there's no way to know for sure other than to try but am hoping some of you have seen something like this before and can give me an opinion.  I do plan to sinew back this one  and leave it a little stiff coming out of the handle.

Thanks,
George
St Paul, TX

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
Re: Osage water damage question
« Reply #1 on: August 24, 2010, 06:04:43 am »
I personally don't think it will give you a problem,looks like most of it will come out while working it anyway.Is the wood soft or dowdy?I have seen lots of Osage with that color in it. You might try flexing it a little before you put the sleeve on,just that one limb to get it close to the other. :)   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Dean Marlow

« Reply #2 on: August 24, 2010, 08:35:20 am »
I'm with Pappy on the Osage. It looks solid and I have seen that in Osage before. Sometimes those dark lines in Osage  will seperate and was told it was called wind shake. If it feels nice and solid I wouldn't worry about it.

Offline gstoneberg

« Reply #3 on: August 24, 2010, 09:49:50 am »
OK guys, thanks.  When I draw knifed into that spot it didn't feel any different, but it sure looked different.  That's what spooked me.  I think it's  attractive against the bright yellow wood around it.  I'll press on.

Thanks again,
George
St Paul, TX