Author Topic: Bow backing?  (Read 2424 times)

Offline RabidApache

Bow backing?
« on: August 23, 2010, 08:46:33 pm »
Hey fellas,
 I was brain storming today on what other materials I have on hand for backing my Hickory bow. My question is.....would Bass fishing superlines (synthetic braid) be any good for backing. I know it would be tedious but has anyone tried this type of material. Its super-strong, resist stretch and I have plenty of old line in the shed. Basically it would call for a lil sanding on the back, and glueing the fishingline side by side parallel from end to end. IMO it could work great but I just don't know. Thanxx
Forever making arrows!

Offline volarion

Re: Bow backing?
« Reply #1 on: August 23, 2010, 09:02:11 pm »
sounds like a great idea I dont know how well it woould work (Im new) but I will be looking forward to the results as I have spare line too :D

Offline RabidApache

« Reply #2 on: August 23, 2010, 09:10:12 pm »
Yeah I have plenty of old used line too. I'm not only into the hunting sports but am also an avid angler. But the thought of using superlines seemed like it would work. You could also preload the line with a bit of tension to add reflex.
Forever making arrows!

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #3 on: August 23, 2010, 09:32:47 pm »
I'm sure it would work. Ive seen other people use linen string and and some people use silk thread. I've never seen silk thread to back a whole bow, just certain parts but people do use silk material to back bows. I was thinking also you could just rap it around the bow tightly, putting glue on the back so it sticks and hardens there, then just send off the back. Just thought it might be a little easier to get it rapped tight and parallel but there would be more waste. I also dont know how it should be done in relation to the grain orientation. Silk thread is always rapped around the bow and then glued down and sanded on the belly once it hardens. Let us know how it goes.
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Offline sulphur

« Reply #4 on: August 23, 2010, 11:23:12 pm »
why would you need to back a hickory (unless its really bad board and maybe not even then)????   Is it a board or stave.  hickory is awfully hard to beat in the unbreakable category. 

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #5 on: August 23, 2010, 11:24:40 pm »
apache i tried that with a board stave couple years ago it worked but it looked like hell ! ;)

half eye

« Reply #6 on: August 24, 2010, 12:00:16 am »
Rabid,
     You could allways twist up the line and try a cable-backed bow. I know for a fact that a cable backed can add more than 10# to a bow. When you are tying up the main cable you can actually tighten it up to induce reflex before ya half hitch it to the bow limbs.
Just a thought for a way to use that stuff.....cause it's hell for tough.
rich

Offline RabidApache

« Reply #7 on: August 24, 2010, 02:43:23 pm »
why would you need to back a hickory (unless its really bad board and maybe not even then)????   Is it a board or stave.  hickory is awfully hard to beat in the unbreakable category. 

Its not for my Hick bow but possibly a shorter bow I made. Its made from Juniper, pulls about 35# at 26 and just wanna strengthen it and add a bit more durability. And if it works out I may wanna back other bows to add more poundage (60+#).
Forever making arrows!

Offline Parnell

« Reply #8 on: August 24, 2010, 03:45:35 pm »
Have you done much with checking out the arguements for sinew backing Juniper?
I imagine that braided line would work, but I can't imagine it would come close to being as good as the sinew.  Sinew and juniper are an ideal match.  For what you are getting out of the fishing line, I'd bet you'd do just as well to use some silk from the fabric store, and it'd be a whole lot easier and looks much better, probably.

Anyhow, good luck with it!
1’—>1’