Author Topic: knots in handles  (Read 1605 times)

Offline walkabout

knots in handles
« on: August 21, 2010, 10:12:41 pm »
working on a hickory stave, and was wondering what the general consensus is about knots in the area of the handle.logic tells me that i should ideally treat them as i would in a working portion of the limb, leaving enough material so they dont become weak points. is this right or would it be safe to work the wood around them down to the dimensions they should be since that area is thicker and not working? the bow im building is based on the eastern woodlands style, and will bend slightly into the handle on full draw. if i leave the knot im looking at about 1/2" or more thickness in the center of my handle.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
Re: knots in handles
« Reply #1 on: August 21, 2010, 10:14:40 pm »
If the handle doesn't bend you don't have to leave extra wood. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2010, 12:13:22 am »
What George said!  ;)
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline walkabout

« Reply #3 on: August 22, 2010, 12:51:28 pm »
thanks, i figured it was safe if it wasnt bending. took the width down a bit last night and the knot is just about gone, it wasnt very deep but the grain swirls a bit right there. its going to be in the thickest part of the handle so it should be ok.

Offline elk country rp

« Reply #4 on: August 22, 2010, 10:26:32 pm »
i really like to use knots as arrow rests if i can get them close to the middle of the stave