Author Topic: Bending locust  (Read 2560 times)

JustinNC

Bending locust
« on: August 20, 2010, 10:08:37 am »
I tried the search function as usual before I ask a question, but this one has me wondering. How well does black locust hold a bend. Does it benefit at all from putting a little recurve in it? Not sure why, but I love the look of those recurved self bows...........if they're still considered a selfbow after you put a recurve in it. Just brainstorming while my wood dries.

Offline nugget

• I see, I hunt, I shoot, I eat
Re: Bending locust
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2010, 10:35:23 am »
It should take a bend. The biggest problem I have had out of locust is chrysallis on the belly from tillering to fast. I have heat straightened locust a bunch of times. Never tried to put recurve in it.
Life is not a journey to the grave with the intentions of arriving safely in a pretty and well preserved body. But rather to slide in sideways, thoroughly used up, totally worn out and loudly proclaiming....WOW WHAT A RIDE!!

JustinNC

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2010, 11:06:13 am »
Thanks Nugget. Just thinking out loud. Being as I'm new to the game, I should just worry about getting one made successfully, let alone something not normal. I've read locust is hard enough to deal with, without doing something else to it.

half eye

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2010, 11:14:54 am »
Hey Justin,
      The shape dont make any difference in weather or not it's a self bow, cant say much on the bending part cause I dont use dry heat to do it.....but most everything else bends, at least OK, with steam. Ya ought to make what ya like the looks of, dont matter if ya built 0 or a hundred of 'em. Makin what YOU like will keep your interest up and make you want to do good on it. JMO
rich

Offline wundabred

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2010, 11:25:00 am »
locust bends well with dry heat.  haven't tried steam. 

a selfbow is a bow without a backing, regardless of whether it is recurved or what have you. 

I have had good success by clamping the locust in the position i want it to hold, and THEN applying the heat. 

JustinNC

« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2010, 11:41:33 am »
will it hold the bend? seems like I remember reading that if hickory is recurved, it will straighten back out

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #6 on: August 20, 2010, 12:03:29 pm »
It will hold most of it, not all because it is wood and there will be some give in.I always go a little more than I want and it usually works out pretty good.I have never really had that problem with Hickory and I have done a lot of them. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

JustinNC

« Reply #7 on: August 20, 2010, 12:26:02 pm »
Pappy I never did do well in school in reading comprehension ;D

Offline wundabred

« Reply #8 on: August 20, 2010, 01:33:57 pm »
it will hold.  if you are worried about springback, just overdo the bend a bit, and if it relaxes, it will still have a good bend

half eye

« Reply #9 on: August 20, 2010, 05:50:34 pm »
Hey Justin,
      Awhile back Ken75 sent me a hickory short bow with recurved tips, I dont know what he started them out like but they are way stiff now and aint changed a lick since I got the darned thing. I shoot it a LOT.
rich

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #10 on: August 20, 2010, 11:03:33 pm »
For your first, I would consider just making a simple flatbow. Info on my site. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: August 20, 2010, 11:05:15 pm »
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!