Author Topic: Any plumbers here?  (Read 2440 times)

Offline Badger

Any plumbers here?
« on: August 17, 2010, 04:58:43 pm »
     Trying to figure out how to remove a broken toilet flange, cast irion, it looks like I might just have to break it out, the part that holds the small toilet to floor bolts is broken. Thanks Steve

Offline sonny

Re: Any plumbers here?
« Reply #1 on: August 17, 2010, 07:57:17 pm »
If it's broken where I think you're talking about, there's a repair part called a spanner flange that'll "fix" it.
It's for repairing the flange where it's the thinnest, along each side where the closet bolts fit.

copy and paste the following link:
 http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2jl3P7sjxCk

hope that helps......

oh,,and that'll cost you one bow stave as payment  ;).

« Last Edit: August 17, 2010, 08:02:56 pm by sonny »
Never argue with an idiot. They'll drag you down to their level and beat you with experience.

Offline cracker

« Reply #2 on: August 17, 2010, 09:38:15 pm »
Wow these plumbers are expensive!!!
If we can't help each other what is the point of being here?

Offline jeff halfrack

« Reply #3 on: August 17, 2010, 11:24:08 pm »
  I'm  a  plumber,  and  yes  the  spanner flange works!      I  slide the  spanner  under the  flange,  and  in an  old  house the  hole for the  drain  is too big  or  the  wood is punky   but  what  I  have  been  using  a lot!!!  is  a  flange  extender  that  will  drop in  the pipe  and  there are  three  allen  screws that you  tighten and  causes the extender to  expand and  become water tight . also  if  the  wood  is  good  you can  use  what  we  call a  johnny bolt"  its a  wood lag on one  side  and a machine screw  on  the  other  I  know,,, too  much  info!!!!!!   but,, allways  use  brass  closet  bolts  and  allways  bring  extra  wax  rings!!!!  rings  work  on  bow  strings  too!!  I  hope  you  do  fine!!!  we'll  be  with ya!!!!!   Jeff W

Offline Badger

« Reply #4 on: August 18, 2010, 04:21:45 am »
  Thanks for the response guys. Mine looks different than that. I am kind of wondering now if 20 years ago I installed a plastic flange into the pipe for some reason I can't remember. The flange on the head pipe is solid and the part that is broken is a floating sheet metal ring that goes underneath the existing solid flange and hold the closet bolts. I just realized that if it were all cast iron the holes would be in the flange. Soon as I get back to it I will let you guys know what I have. Right now it is just sitting on the wax ring with no bolts holding it.

Offline skyarrow

• Sterling Lynch Victoria, TX (361)935-1715 text me
« Reply #5 on: August 18, 2010, 10:40:04 am »
post some pics
"We don't have mistakes here, we just have happy accidents" Bob Ross RIP 1995