Author Topic: Glue question  (Read 3407 times)

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
Re: Glue question
« Reply #15 on: August 16, 2010, 02:45:40 am »
BC....Luthiers and Piano Glue is all top quality Hide Glue...and it would be safe to say that either would be just fine...as Keith Davis ( islandpiper ) He builds and rebuilds musical Instruments...and knows good Hide Glue from Bad

As for Knox...Hey...if thats the route you want to take...go for it...I just gave my true feelings on the subject...anyone and everyone is entitled to their own opinions..I have never had a Bow backing lift with Hide Glue...and I have with Knox...may have been a bad batch...may have been a problem with the way I used it...but either way..."I"...will not use it again...that does not mean "you" can't...... ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline kylerprochaska

« Reply #16 on: August 16, 2010, 05:24:37 am »
I don't have near the experience with sinew as most of the guys her have but I have had luck with Titebond liquid hide glue...it hasn't failed me yet
GBR!

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #17 on: August 16, 2010, 10:20:04 am »
I've never had a backing lift with gelatin, unless I wanted to lift it.  That said I do use hide glue now but if knox is what you can get then don't worry about it, it will work.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Stingray45

« Reply #18 on: August 16, 2010, 11:42:34 am »
I believe Titebond makes a hide glue.
Is there anything better than wandering the earth with a stick and string in your hand?

Cacatch

« Reply #19 on: August 16, 2010, 02:57:15 pm »
I've only sinew-backed 3 bows and used Knox on all 3. It never lifted, and I found it to be very strong and to cure very hard and durable, but I must admit none of the 3 ever pulled into the slightest bit of reflex. I always wondered if I had used actual hide glue if they would have pulled into some reflex.  That's my input.

CP