Author Topic: Black Betty went BAM-A-LAM  (Read 5472 times)

Offline Kegan

Black Betty went BAM-A-LAM
« on: August 09, 2010, 06:23:46 pm »
Well, this is a new one. I've had breaks like this when first bending a tempered bow with a really small handle, but I've been shooting Betty for a month or two now. I've no clue about this one. I dunno if it got knocked around in the back of my truck or if the club we were at is just cursed (we've lost and broken a number of arrows at that place, and my buddy Art had his compound blow up there too :o).

What a bummer. No injury was sustained, except to my ego :'(.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Black Betty went BAM-A-LAM
« Reply #1 on: August 09, 2010, 06:26:09 pm »
That sucks Kegan, I really liked that bow.  :'(
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Lombard

« Reply #2 on: August 09, 2010, 06:36:49 pm »
I've had that happen once. Had a celebration of fire honoring the the dead bow in the fire ring. Come to think of it, over the last couple of years, I've had several celebrations of fire concerning my experiments with wooden bows. Bummer though because that one was a beauty.

bowkee

« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2010, 07:22:39 pm »
looks like a fixer ???

Offline Kegan

« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2010, 07:26:48 pm »
Thanks guys. I'm going to try and fix'er up, but I'm not certain how far to go. I'm thinking some epoxy in that crack and a heavy twine wrap for a new grip. Maybe screws too?

Any help would be apprciated. I'm doing finish on a few bows and my brother is painting my uncle's truck, so no making shavings on a new one just yet.

Offline walkabout

« Reply #5 on: August 09, 2010, 08:18:30 pm »
thats a tough call whether it could be repaired or not. epoxy might work, but it depends on how far into the limb the split went. i dont think i would use screws, maybe just some good hardwood dowels punched into it tight , then a wrap of either sinew or hemp set in epoxy or a massey finish. be sure to pull it from afar with a rope at first, theres no guarantee itll even hold up after being repaired. good luck.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #6 on: August 09, 2010, 08:24:21 pm »
It happens. I broke 2 or 3  this year. If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin'! Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 10:51:40 pm »
 I'd heat it and then run some Loc-Tite super glue down in the crack. Then clamp it till it squeezes out.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline RyanY

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 11:07:37 pm »
 :'(

Offline aero86

« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 11:25:22 pm »
i dont remember the post on it, but was it a stave bow?  thats a new break to me..
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 11:33:32 pm »
damn nice bow hope you save it

half eye

« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 11:48:15 pm »
Kegan,
     I see where you are thinking of wrapping the grip and thought ya might not have heard of this "old school" way to do that. so here goes ....for what it might be worth to ya>
     Take about 18-20 feet of your hemp cord and tie one end off to an eye screw on the shop wall. Take the bow and the other end away till the string is taught. Start two wraps (going over the starting end. Use BOTH hands on the bow and wind yourself up toward the wall. You will not believ how tight you can wrap that way. Fact is ya can wrap so tight the string will actually emboss into the wood.
      Added to that ya can spread some glue under the wraps every now and again  or constantly (either way) and baby will not move. even if this wont fix this bow it is a really good way to make wraps especially for repairs.

Hope ya sve it bud, it's a nice one
rich

Offline rileyconcrete

« Reply #12 on: August 10, 2010, 12:29:09 am »
Cut the handle off along the break, clean it up, then glue up a new handle area, retiller,  maybe this would work? Just throwing and Idea out there.  good luck.

Tell
Tell Riley

Offline walkabout

« Reply #13 on: August 10, 2010, 01:04:07 am »
i feel your pain, my selfbow just blew on me tonight. hopefully with the combined ideas here you can resurrect this one.

Offline straightarrow

• "Success or failure, neither are final"
« Reply #14 on: August 10, 2010, 04:23:46 am »
Hope you get it fixed.......I would use any of the Titebonds and shoot down in the cracks with a syringe then get several clamps and clamp for a day or two. Then I would do what half eye said about the wrapping....sounds like a great idea for getting it real tight. Last i would swear some clear epoxy over the hemp. Put a leather grip on and see what happens....? I think its fixable....The titebond is stronger then the actual wood....good luck!!!!

Jon