Author Topic: Buffalo's Bow  (Read 14823 times)

Offline Gordon

Buffalo's Bow
« on: August 08, 2010, 11:35:56 pm »
This is a bow that I made for a friend of mine (Buffalo) on the east side. It is made from a single stave of low elevation yew. I wanted to see what I could get out of such wood so I kept the limbs a bit wider than usual  ( 1 3/8”), made the belly only slightly oval and heat treated it, and heated in some reflex in the tips.  The resulting bow came in at 72# @ 29” and took practically no set during tillering.  The bow is 67” ntn with asymmetrical limbs. I backed it with rawhide and finished it with Tru-Oil. The tips are from an elk shed that I picked up on the coast and the handle is elk hide with a John Strunk style wrap.  Photos were taken on the North Umpqua River in Oregon.

My friend had to wait a year for the bow, but I think he is going to like it.

Gordon

Offline Thwackaddict

Re: Buffalo's Bow
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 11:40:24 pm »
Absolutely beautiful Gordon.I really like how clean and fluid your bows are.They jus flow!!Great job and inspiring to us all.
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

Offline james parker

• Global Moderator
    • huntworthyproductions
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 11:41:28 pm »
dang gordon,thats nice,how hard would it be to get a bow simular to that from you?

Offline Timo

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 11:46:08 pm »
Outstanding work Gordon! (The bow of course),but my eye is seeing more of the photo composition than the bow...sorry but...WOW very nice work on the pics.

I know you pride yourself on your pics,and I admire that.When one does such a  fine job of craftsmanship,then it should be shown in manner that which complements the subject. Absolutely astounding!

Maybe the PTB should start another contest for pic of the month?......Never mind, we would all loose to you sir. Thanks for posting.

Offline aero86

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 11:48:25 pm »
pffft.  you hope he likes it, i doubt it.  hes gonna LOVE it!  i know i would.  its a work of art!
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline walkabout

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 11:52:31 pm »
great job, that bow is very elegant . im sure your friend will be more than pleased.

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 11:54:51 pm »
very classy ! what i've come to expect

Offline woodstick

« Reply #7 on: August 09, 2010, 12:30:01 am »
wow allways a great bow.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline RyanY

« Reply #8 on: August 09, 2010, 12:32:35 am »
Jaw dropping. I need friends like you.

Offline Tsalagi

• Just a bowman...
    • Guerilla Chef Headquarters
« Reply #9 on: August 09, 2010, 12:50:23 am »
That's a great looking bow! I especially like the red bands painted towards the ends.

I also like your hat. You don't see those too often.
Living a dream...

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #10 on: August 09, 2010, 12:58:15 am »
Your attention to detail shows in every bow you create, Gordon.  Tiller looks awesome as well as your finish work.  I bet your friend will think it was way worth the wait for this beauty.   Got Buffalo's Bow bookmarked for Aug. BOM too.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #11 on: August 09, 2010, 12:59:35 am »
Another beauty Gordon. I love seeing your work.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #12 on: August 09, 2010, 01:06:50 am »
Gordon as always great work my friend and those camera angles are stunning absolutley make the effect more dramatic.  The bow has some great lines I like the tips as well as the handle wrap!  Need I say more??!!

Russell
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline NTD

« Reply #13 on: August 09, 2010, 01:44:00 am »
Absolutely jaw dropping work Gordon.  Just when I thought you couldn't raise the bar any higher, there you go.  Inspiring to say the least.
Nate Danforth

Offline Gordon

« Reply #14 on: August 09, 2010, 02:36:53 am »
Thank you for the compliment Randy.

Sent you a PM James, and thank you for the compliment.

Tim, I was in one of the most beautiful spots in the Pacific NW this weekend and happened to have the bow and a camera. What else could I do  :D. Thank you so much for your nice words.

Thank you Aero, it is nice to see that people like yourself enjoy this kind of work.

Thank you Richard. I appreciate it.

Thank you for the nice compliment Ken.

Thank you Woodstick.

Thank you for the compliment Ryoon.

Thank you Tsalagi. The red bands are actually wraps. The hat is Austrian - you don't see too many of them around here.

Thank you Josh, what a nice compliment.

Thank you Pat, that means a lot coming from you.

Thank you for the really nice words Russell.

What a nice thing to say NTD, thank you.
Gordon