Author Topic: Ipe ??  (Read 4125 times)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Ipe ??
« on: August 07, 2010, 10:52:33 pm »
 I have a opertunity to get some Ipe boards 5/4 x4" x8' I was thinking about useing them to make a Boo backed Ipe bow or two. My question is what should the board look like as far as the grain or does it matter? Any info i can get would be great thanks
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline DustinDees

• the kingdom of bahrain, deployed
Re: Ipe ??
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2010, 12:21:04 am »
I been outta making bows for over 6 months now but if memory serves you cant see the grain on ipe very well. being a BBI the grain, unless horribly messed up, shouldn't make a bit of difference on the compression side. If im mistaken im sure someone with more know will chime in. cheers.
“Do not spoil what you have by desiring what you have not; remember that what you now have was once among the things you only hoped for.” – Epicurus
Put your hand on a hot stove for a minute, and it seems like an hour. Sit with a pretty girl for an hour, and it seems like a minute. That's Relativit

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2010, 12:28:45 am »
The straighter the grain and the fewer the runoffs and knots the better for bow wood. With a backing you can get away with more than with a selfbow.   If the grain is OK you should cut your belly slats from the 5/4 edge. That or a bit narrower should be perfect for a boo backed ipe bow. Don't discount hickory for backings too. It and ipe make an excellent combo.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Timo

« Reply #3 on: August 08, 2010, 10:16:47 am »
Ipe is a weird wood. I have noticed that on really straight grain ipe that you cannot distinguish grain flow. You can however, if you have a board with run off, I'd work around that stuff. It also comes in a variety of colors,I think the darker the denser, and the less wood you need for a bow.

Don't discount osage as a baking either. ;)

I'd like to see someone sinew back the stuff? 8)........That might just be a good winter time project?

Offline elk country rp

« Reply #4 on: August 08, 2010, 01:22:50 pm »
my only warning for ipe is to watch out for the little knots! i've had funky grain work just fine, but more often than not, if it's gonna blow, it's because of a little knot.

Grunt

« Reply #5 on: August 08, 2010, 01:23:53 pm »
I always look for straight grain in Ipe. Go through the boards and find some straight grain. I take a flashlight when looking at Ipe. Another good thing about that Ipe is you can see here to dig those chocolate splinters out. You will get splinters.

Offline elk country rp

« Reply #6 on: August 08, 2010, 01:28:53 pm »
mmmmmmm, the splinters............ >:D

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #7 on: August 08, 2010, 03:22:14 pm »
Ipe is a weird wood. I have noticed that on really straight grain ipe that you cannot distinguish grain flow. You can however, if you have a board with run off, I'd work around that stuff. It also comes in a variety of colors,I think the darker the denser, and the less wood you need for a bow.

Don't discount osage as a baking either. ;)

I'd like to see someone sinew back the stuff? 8)........That might just be a good winter time project?
I agree, if you cant see the grain it is usually straight. Osage on ipe looks good too.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2010, 03:45:31 pm »
Thankyou all for you very helpful replys, i will have to try a couple different backings
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Offline Timo

« Reply #9 on: August 08, 2010, 04:59:33 pm »
Here is osage backed ipe ya get some very nice contrast.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline NTD

« Reply #10 on: August 08, 2010, 05:05:56 pm »
Drool...
Nate Danforth

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #11 on: August 08, 2010, 08:21:25 pm »
Pat B you said to cut your belly slats of the 5/4 side that seems a bit narrow does Ipe hold up well to narrow limbs? thanks

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #12 on: August 08, 2010, 09:18:55 pm »
   You don't need to go much wider than 1 1/8".
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline NTD

« Reply #13 on: August 08, 2010, 09:21:13 pm »
I think if you went much wider than 1 3/8" you'd be hard pressed to get a bow under 100# without it being paper thin.  It's incredible how stiff this stuff is.
Nate Danforth

Offline bryan irwin

« Reply #14 on: August 08, 2010, 10:58:55 pm »
yes you don't need more than 1 1/8 I have made 2 bbi thats 1 1/8 wide and 55 # @28.
bryan irwin