Author Topic: alternatives to sinew  (Read 24972 times)

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
Re: alternatives to sinew
« Reply #15 on: August 09, 2010, 10:11:21 am »
Nate pretty much summed it up. There are plenty of alternatives, but no substitutes.  You can find backings that are stronger in tension than sinew, but they still aren't the same. The funny part is a lot of people don't soak the sinew long enough to get the full benefits of sinew. If you have ever dried your own sinew you have seen how much it shrinks when it dries. But a lot of people just barely get it wet again and throw on.

Silk is a great backing, but it would be real difficult to attach it pre stressed to a bow with any kind of character or even a recurve or deflex reflex. The fact that sinew stresses itself as it cures is a good portion of what makes it so cool.
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline chuckp

« Reply #16 on: August 09, 2010, 01:17:07 pm »
 How about bow length and sinew? Will say a 66-72" bow not reap any of sinews benefits? Does sinew become counter-productive with longer bows?

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #17 on: August 09, 2010, 02:00:59 pm »
Yes!  Sinew and hide glue weigh more than most woods so you are adding physical weight to the limbs and at the longer lengths you aren't using the full potential of the sinew. On shorter bows where the sinew is stretched well at full draw the extra physical weight is negated by the performance of the sinew.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #18 on: August 09, 2010, 09:16:42 pm »
I have used Hemp...Jute....and Flax ...with some good results...but I don't see a way that you could get the Artificial Sinew to even glue down and stay...not being waxed...I guess you could take Acetone and cut the wax out of the Fibers...but why bother....oh ...and none of these fibers I mentioned...hold a candle to Sinew.... ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2010, 12:14:15 am »
"Will say a 66-72" bow not reap any of sinews benefits?"

I used to dream of making a killer Osage ELB with sinew backing and having the world's fastest bow.  Then someone explained to me by drawing a picture of a short bow pulled 27" and long bow polled the same length.  (Or maybe they showed me the picture in The Traditional Bowyers Bible, I can't remember)  The shorter bow has to move it's limbs into a much steeper bend to acheive the same draw length, consequently it "Loads" up more.  On the longbow, it really isn't doing any work at all, it's just freeloading. 

But if you put on a really really really thin layer as an insurance backing it wouldn't detract much from the performance while preventing splinters from lifting.  But you could use antelope rawhide, which is tougher than steel and just a bit thicker than cigarette paper to do the same job.  Ultimately, save your sinew for a shorty bow that will be so fast it will burn the feathers off your arrows!
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2010, 11:31:14 am »
Artificial sinew is just nylon thread with wax on it. Even if you took the wax off, it would still be just nylon thread. It would probably help protect the back of a bow, but it wouldn't pull into reflex or enhance the performance of a bow like real sinew.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2010, 11:35:50 am »
                                                                                     Dental Floss....see I told Ya........ :P

I Might Be Moving To Montana Soon....Gunna Be A Dental Floss Tycoon........... >:D

Now that last one really shows my Age........... ;D
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #22 on: August 10, 2010, 11:50:16 am »
;D
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #23 on: August 10, 2010, 01:07:01 pm »
It took me a long time and a lot of experimenting but when I want to imitate the look and properties of sinew I use tan-colored poly/cotton sewing thread. It can be glued down with animal glue, titebond, etc.

The thread stretches (and snaps back) but it will not shrink like sinew does.  However, if you glue it down with animal glue it will shrink somewhat due to the shrinking of the animal glue ...and will create a little bit of reflex if you back a bow with it.  I have two bows backed with fish glue and poly/cotton thread and they work very well.  The are not as "snappy" as sinew backed bows but I can hardly tell the difference.  IMO

The thread has a polyester fiber core that is wrapped with cotton.  The polyester stretches and the cotton wrapping allows it to be glued down (most glue doesn't stick well to polyester).

You can imitate the look of sinew, for hafting arrowheads and such, by applying the threads in a three or four strand bundle.  Make sure the threads lie flat and are not twisted.  The beauty of this is that the thread can be cut to any length you want.
« Last Edit: August 10, 2010, 06:48:17 pm by jackcrafty »
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #24 on: August 10, 2010, 02:09:31 pm »
                                      Patrick....You of all People...Cheating....Man I would have never expected this from You....I am Hurt.......... :'(

Ya want to go into Business?                We can Start a Dental Floss Farm.......... >:D
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline JackCrafty

• Global Moderator
  • Sorry Officer, I was just gathering "materials".
« Reply #25 on: August 10, 2010, 06:46:48 pm »
How do you grow dental floss?  Wait....I don't want to know.... ;)
Any critter tastes good with enough butter on it.

Patrick Blank
Midland, Texas
Youtube: JackCrafty, Allergic Hobbit, Patrick Blank

Where's Rock? Public Waterways, Road Cuts, Landscape Supply, Knap-Ins.
How to Cook It?  200° for 24hrs then 275° to 500° for 4hrs (depending on type), Cool for 12hr

Offline El Destructo

« Reply #26 on: August 10, 2010, 08:14:12 pm »
                                                             Forgot how Young you were....you probably never listened to Frank Zappa..... ;D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WlntX_iMg5g&feature=fvw
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #27 on: August 10, 2010, 09:18:46 pm »
How does rawhide compare to sinew?  Is is more for protection than performance?  Does it stretch if soaked in water?

And who in the heck is Frank Zappa? ???
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline snag

« Reply #28 on: August 10, 2010, 09:47:50 pm »
whoooooo...there I'm ok now....a flashback El Destructo! 

I am very interested in this because of the juniper bow I am making. Do you soak the sinew for several hours before using it?
Is. 49:2 ....He made me a polished arrow and concealed me in His quiver.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #29 on: August 10, 2010, 11:29:34 pm »
Mike that is so old school
i cant remember(probably with good reason  ;) ;D )the last time i heard that song
man thats way back from "in the day"
a wednesday i beleive it was
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd