Author Topic: what do you think this is?  (Read 5789 times)

Offline aero86

what do you think this is?
« on: August 04, 2010, 12:23:09 am »
found this growing off the big parking lot behind my house.  never noticed it.  i dont know if its some kind of ornamental or what.  looks to have compound leaves.  1 to 1.5 inch long.  the bark appears to be smooth.
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: what do you think this is?
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2010, 12:34:20 am »
Poison sumac!  ;D Just kidding[I think] Can you post a pic of the plant?   Sumac comes to mind and not necessarily the poison variety.    Dana built a sumac bow a few winters ago. He shot it until it broke. Not the best bow wood but it would work in a pinch. 
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline aero86

« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 12:43:03 am »
ill try to get to get a decent pic of the trunk tomorrow.  thanks pat, now im paranoid.  ive never seen poison sumac before.  but apparently its not supposed to grow here, north east texas.  i couldl be wrong, and ive found the only tree here, ever.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2010, 01:03:27 am by aero86 »
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 01:02:24 am »
Is it growing alone(amongst other plants) or in a colony?
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline aero86

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 01:10:08 am »
there was other trees and such growing along the parking lot.  ill have to go look tomorrow

Far East Archer

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 05:43:10 am »
Ailanthus altissima ??
Yes, it looks like rhus family also, though stem colour is reddish in some sumac tree and this seem green colour.

Offline aero86

« Reply #6 on: August 07, 2010, 05:27:26 pm »
well, havent gone back to it yet, but i havent broken out with anything, so i guess we can rule out the poison sumac!  lol

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #7 on: August 07, 2010, 05:35:25 pm »
DON'T rule out poison sumac.  It's in the same family as poison ivy, I think, and the urushinol oils in them can be really nasty to some people and not have an affect on another.  Everyone is born with some immunity to it, but that immunity breaks down with every added contact to the plant.  You might even carry it to someone that is highly allergic to it.  I've heard of people breaking out because they wore clothes that went thru a washing machine that someone else had washed clothing after camping. 

When I was a park ranger in North Dakota years back I used to pick it and show it to people warning them to never touch the stuff. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: August 07, 2010, 05:49:38 pm »
Looks like Ailanthus in my Audubon Tree Guide. "Tree of Heaven" ...invasive exotic, poison roots and weak branches(don't know if the wood is weak or the branch structure).

Offline SA

« Reply #9 on: August 07, 2010, 05:50:59 pm »
i dont think its poison sumac, it has smooth leaves with white fruit tightly grouped.not toothed
Shawn Acker

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #10 on: August 07, 2010, 05:53:01 pm »
That was a joke son!   ;D I knew it wasn't poison sumac. ;)

Offline SA

« Reply #11 on: August 07, 2010, 05:55:53 pm »
i knew you were. ;)
Shawn Acker

Offline walkabout

« Reply #12 on: August 07, 2010, 06:42:45 pm »
most sumac ive seen has very velvety bark. not sure though what that could be.also sumac has leaves sorta like a cherry tree, oval with a pointed tip but i think minus the serrations.

Offline aero86

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010, 07:05:21 pm »
i figured you might be  joking pat, but, when your the one that has touched something that could be something like that, you start to second guess!  lol.  i was thinking tree of heaven as well when i was frantically searching.

and im definitely allergic to poison ivy.  i break out within a day or so of contact.  i had it on my face once.  THAT was a horrible experience for a 6th grader..

Offline jthompson1995

• Parkville, MD
« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2010, 10:14:36 pm »
It looks like it could be elderberry to me. There are some ornamental varieties that have very dark, almost black, leaves like you show.
A man who works with his hands is a laborer, a man who works with his hands and his mind is a craftsman, but a man who works with his hands, his mind and his heart is an artist. - Louis Nizer (1902-1994)