Author Topic: To JIG or not to JIG that is the question??? VERY FUNNY VIDEO AT BOTTOM!!!  (Read 7046 times)

Offline AncientArcher76

Hi guys I wanted to know where to find the info on how to make a simple jig for fluting...I dont need the type with the lever or maybe I do but I was watching Mike Santiago using a bunch of small blocks of wood tied together and a few wooden shimms he wrapped some string around the point whacked the nipple with a bpper and got a perfect flute ..both sides!  Well I cant remember exactly what he did or I wouldnt bug any of u..so helP!!!!!!!

Russ

LOL have a good day!!!
« Last Edit: August 08, 2010, 01:23:37 pm by AncientArcher76 »
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline AncientArcher76

Re: Need info on jigs
« Reply #1 on: August 03, 2010, 11:10:52 pm »
Oh yeah?
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

Offline leapingbare

• http://www.flintknappers.com/jessewright/
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2010, 01:38:15 am »
depends on what you want to make.
 If you want to make plane Clovis points then any jig will work.
If you want to make cumberlands and folsomns then your need the solburger jig.
If you have not started fluting points i'd wait dont handycap yourself with a jig.. I hand fluted and held erm with my feet and used indirect long before i made a jig.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #3 on: August 04, 2010, 02:23:10 pm »
Thanx Jesse I have been fluting by hand for some time now with fair results!  I want to up grade...lol I will look around the net for pictures or plans on various forms of jigs!  Thanks for the response.

Russ

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #4 on: August 04, 2010, 04:53:32 pm »
Oh Leap what is a plain old jig and maybe I can get a diagram from someone would make my day!  I can start with a Plain old ...

Thanx!!!

Russ

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #5 on: August 04, 2010, 05:36:12 pm »
i use a solbuger jig and i made it from a pic of one i seen on line.
just find a pic of one ad go from there thats what i did.
Mililani Hawaii

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #6 on: August 04, 2010, 08:57:23 pm »
Thanx man will do!

Russ

Offline caveman2533

• Steve Nissly
« Reply #7 on: August 05, 2010, 12:35:40 am »
Russell, Search Paleoplanet for pics of Kenny Wallaces jig  It is about the simplest type, called a guillotine jig.  Wait to do anything until letchworth where you can get a look at a couple different types.
Steve

Offline piper

« Reply #8 on: August 05, 2010, 01:34:02 am »
try this link paleoplanet69529.yuku.com/topic/34662
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 10:38:27 am by Justin Snyder »
It's hard to ride two horses when you only have one ass

Western North Carolina

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #9 on: August 05, 2010, 07:09:01 am »
russ paleomanjim shows a very good demo on his on youtube. it would be easy to copy
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 10:58:32 am »
I guess I must be the one knapper left in the US who has no desire to use a jig. If I can't flute'em the way they fluted'em, I don't want to flute'em. (Say that five times fast :) )
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline jamie

• born again pagan ,dirt worshipping heathen
« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 11:54:09 am »
Steve, there is one other person. =)
"Man is a tool-using animal. Without tools he is nothing, with tools he is all."

waterbury, ct

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 02:12:57 pm »
Hey guys thanx for the help...I enjoy fluting by hand but the jig dont look overly complicated I just want to try and flute just one all the way to the tip...sounds silly right?  Steve I will wait till Letchworth and Ken Wallace is a friend of mine Ive seen him using that Jig.  One question is how and the hell did the natives flute so well like the cumberland without the use of some type of system...or did they?  Hmm  ok boys gotta run!

Russ

Offline leapingbare

« Reply #13 on: August 06, 2010, 03:10:32 pm »
I think they used a device of some type.
Can you flute to the tip with direct percussion or in direct percussion? The answer is yes but show me someone who can do it consistently...
The characteristics of a direct and indirect percussion flute flake scar are different then a flute flake scar left by a jig. Look at the artifacts, most cumberlands show the small ripples on the face near the tip of the point were the flute flake released. Very rarely will you get the ripples with direct or in direct percussion and most flutes with a jig that don't push the flute clean off the tip and stop abruptly will have these small ripples.
If primitive man could build simple machines to build the pyramids and Stonehenge etc., I'm sure they could have come up with a device to flute points. Such a device would probably have been made from bone and wood and could not last the test of time. and since the Paleo Indians had no written language theres no way to know for sure
Mililani Hawaii

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2010, 03:56:33 pm »
Well said Jesse!!!  I love when some guys think..and myself gets caught up in that, when or if its not in a book or documented that it isnt so!  I honestly belive that these people who needed to survive by the means of making these tools were every bit sophisticated enough to may have built a simple device to produce effective results each time rather than direct inderect and possibly making a costly error!  It goes for many things whether a bow , arrow, or any thing else HEY CHECK THIS OUT!

OK NOTHING TO DO WITH TOPIC BUT SAW A COMMERCIAL ON TV U ALL NEED TO SEE!!!

youtube.com/watch?v=T7Dak8V_OpQ
« Last Edit: August 09, 2010, 10:37:51 am by Justin Snyder »