Author Topic: RO 's  (Read 3371 times)

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
RO 's
« on: July 31, 2010, 12:09:52 am »
well it was 102 degrees today but i managed to get a few things done. cut out 42 shafts cherry, black walnut ,and popular .got a few fletched

[attachment deleted by admin]

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: RO 's
« Reply #1 on: July 31, 2010, 12:14:12 am »
...I think you need a few more... Seriously those look nice, Ken.  Wish I could make myself make some more... Scratch that I wish I liked to make arrows, or had a good friend who did.   ;D 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline ken75

« Reply #2 on: July 31, 2010, 12:19:46 am »
josh some i will keep for myself, some for trade. ive made around three hundred in the last year but i cant seem to keep them .they are surely not as interesting as bows but what goods a bow without them ?

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #3 on: July 31, 2010, 12:24:59 am »
That's the truth..  :)   I make like 6 arrows at a time and I won't make more until I am down to 2.  So far I still have the same 6 I made last March/April... Had to look for one of them for half a day before I found it, LOL.  :) :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

half eye

« Reply #4 on: July 31, 2010, 12:40:31 am »
Dang Ken, them are sweet.....really like the way ya tied down the fletch on the walnut. Please tell me ya aint gone to small diameter though like 5/16 or something, cause ya know what happens if ya mix them skinny girls in with the telephone poles.....it aint pretty.
rich

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #5 on: July 31, 2010, 07:34:45 am »
Josh- I'm the same. I don't lose many arrows as I look for hours before I give up ;D I inevitably think its a waist of time even if I find it...
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Online JW_Halverson

« Reply #6 on: July 31, 2010, 03:26:42 pm »
Looks like you are using artificial sinew to wrap.  I have always avoided it because I had enough real sinew on hand and I didn't like the way the artificial stuff built up too thick.  But at the High Plains Regional Rendezvous Mike Stocklin did a quick course on arrow building and he showed how he splits the artificial sinew into thinner strands.  Problem solved.  He then showed how a little layer of CA (cyanoacrylic) Superglue bites right in thru the wax and glues it down tight.  I tried it and it works. 

Nice arrows by the way, love the staining of the shafts. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Offline sailordad

« Reply #7 on: July 31, 2010, 04:53:13 pm »
nice looking shafts

jw im with you on not liking to use artifical sinew because of the looks
i too have a supply of real sinew and thats all i use
my primitive arrows are all primitive
i cut them down with a stone tools,scraped with stone tools etc etc.not gonna skimp on the last step of tieing them down  ;)
to each their own
regardless,nice looking shafts
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline ken75

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 11:57:35 pm »
Rich still using the "Poles",JW thanks the shafts arent stained just clear coated , Tim thanks , all primitive is cool but i have too many to produce to go that route

Offline gothmog

« Reply #9 on: August 06, 2010, 06:23:15 pm »
Those look great Ken!  Its RO's similar to this I will be shooting from that Molle, Rich.  I cannot wait....Lookout local deer population!  Qualifications for county park hunting in the morn! 
« Last Edit: August 06, 2010, 06:33:04 pm by gothmog »

Offline ken75

« Reply #10 on: August 06, 2010, 07:09:27 pm »
some of these are yours just gotta finish em up

Offline gothmog

« Reply #11 on: August 06, 2010, 07:38:42 pm »
Now I'm even more excited!!  BTW, you a big guy, small, normal stature?  Just need to put the straps on your quivers.

Offline Mark Anderson

• Mark Anderson Buckie, Scotland
« Reply #12 on: August 06, 2010, 08:35:16 pm »
Nice arrows. I too use artificial sinew but I split it like JW said. I don't tie it at all I just start wrapping and the wax holds it tight until I get some superglue on it then it's tough as nails.
Mark
"Mommy some guys just don't know how to shoot REAL bows so they have to buy them, probably at Walmart and they have wheels on them."  Caedmon Anderson (4yrs)

Offline aero86

« Reply #13 on: August 07, 2010, 12:25:25 am »
nice arrows.  i use artifical on mine, because its all i have on hand!  lol.  and i split mine really thin.  then, i use duco over the wrappings to seal it. 
profsaffel  "clogs like the devil" I always figured Lucifer to be more of a disco kind of guy.

Offline ken75

« Reply #14 on: August 07, 2010, 11:03:33 am »
i do the same split the strand and duco, goth im a xl kind a guy bout 5' 10"