Author Topic: Ocean spray  (Read 4133 times)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Ocean spray
« on: July 30, 2010, 02:31:23 pm »
I harvested about 30 ocean spray limbs that are from 3 inches thick to a 1 1/4 and all about 5 to 7 feet, I was wondering how long it usually takes to season and dry them with the bark on? They are stored in a dry basement on a drying rack, i was also wondering how many pound bow you can get out of what diameter limb roughly? Any other info comments tips ect would be much appretiated thanks
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
Re: Ocean spray
« Reply #1 on: July 30, 2010, 07:06:30 pm »
Anybody have anything to say about this? ttt thanks
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Offline 0209

« Reply #2 on: July 30, 2010, 07:39:34 pm »
I've never heard of the wood to be honest with you.  Have you used it before and if so what were the results?  Sounds like you got quite the harvest if the wood is good.  Have a good one.
-Ian
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training is austere conditions with minimal food and water. He doesn't worry about what workout to do.his ruck weighs what it weighs and his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. Only he knows the cause. Still want to Quit?
-Unknown

Offline Jesse

« Reply #3 on: July 30, 2010, 08:17:16 pm »
Personally I have never used it but I have seen nice bows posted on here made from it.
"If you can find a path with no obstacles, it probably doesn't lead anywhere."
    --Frank A. Clark

Offline elk country rp

« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 08:38:27 pm »
John Strunk told me to let it sit for at least a few months with the bark on before i tried to do anything with it. i guess it checks quite easily. i have a piece somewhere from last summer that i forgot about- d'oh!- wonder if it's dry yet.....

Offline lowell

« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 08:42:00 pm »
I thought I read that in general...staves will dry about an inch a year.  So a 3 inch piece of wood may take a year and a half to dry properly.
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline aaron

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 10:12:52 pm »
i have seen an ocean spray bow from  two 2 inch dia billets  which pulls about 50 pounds. It's an wesome wood- resembling oak in some ways (it has ray wood) . you probly want to seal the ends if you havent already. If it were me, I'd take one and bring it to floor tiller, then see if it tolerates drying without warp or check. if you can dry it this way, it may be ready in a few months, otherwise with bark and sealed ends it would take at least a year. If you got a bunch of staves, you may as well experiment. I would love to try this wood, but have never found it big enough in my area. it is excelent for darts. i'm guessing you're on the central oregon coast?
good luck!
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 11:29:55 pm »
Yes im about 10 min out of Tillamook, I was inspired when i shot some of John Strunks Oceanspray bows, He also lives in Tillamook and i have done some work with him but i dont like to bug him with every ? I have so i like to get other poeples opinions too. I have seen one he did about 1 1/4  around and it drew 58# at 28" i was impressed, and it just so happened i found a ton of old growth Oceanspray on the hill behind my house, I looked at about 100 different paches just to get the 30 nice staves, and some really big stuff that would impress most poeple who have searched for Oceanspray. Thanks so far for all your info everyone and keep it comeing thanks

Offline aaron

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 12:59:37 am »
would you be interested in trading a few of them staves for some obsidian  and or knapping lessons? I'm an hour and a half north in ilwaco...
Ilwaco, Washington, USA
"Good wood makes great bows, but bad wood makes great bowyers"

brian melton

« Reply #9 on: July 31, 2010, 01:32:45 am »
6 months minimum seal the ends and keep in a stable enviroment it will check very easily.

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2010, 01:39:06 am »
Aron i sent you a PM can you show me any of your work? E mail me we will talk some more Mandoman1540@hotmail.com

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #11 on: July 31, 2010, 01:42:46 am »
Brian melton in regards to your info to me i have a question, I left all of the staves extra long, and or cut them on the other end of a fork so to watch out for checking. Do i still need to seal the ends if so what is a easy product for doing this? Thanks

Offline Gordon

« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2010, 03:18:06 am »
Seal both ends because once a check begins, it can travel a long way.
Gordon

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #13 on: July 31, 2010, 08:45:50 pm »
What to seal with thanks

Offline Gordon

« Reply #14 on: July 31, 2010, 11:44:49 pm »
I use TB3 glue. Latex paint works well also.
Gordon