Author Topic: 57 days and countin'  (Read 3976 times)

Offline PeteC

57 days and countin'
« on: July 29, 2010, 10:39:54 pm »
It's coming up to us again fellas,that old feelin' that has stuck with me,and many of you, since childhood.The excitement of glimpsing a good buck in mid-summer velvet ,of workin' out trails,findin' funnels,lookin' for good ambush points,settin' stands,and just generally gettin' all jacked up for the new season. I long since lost that "magic",I once held for gun huntin',and,although it seems like a lifetime ago,the stick and string have lost nothing since the first time I carried it to the woods after game.What a blessing we have been given ,that understand this mystery,and have an obligation to pass this treasure on to someone else.Forgive me for draggin' on,but I was sittin' here thinking of an old friend of mine that passed last year.He was an excellent whitetail hunter,and sure did love the bowhunt.We miss you Roger,and thanks for sharing some of your secrets with me. Good Huntin' Fellas, and God Bless
What you believe determines how you behave., Pete Clayton, Whitehouse ,Texas

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: 57 days and countin'
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2010, 10:45:23 pm »
I can't wait for the season to begin either, Pete.  I hunted a bunch last year but this year is going to be the year.. I am going to get one with a weapon I made with my own hands.  I am excited as well.  :)  :)  Good luck on your season, Pete.
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2010, 11:02:16 pm »
 It started here last weekend. Only in the high 90's and the humidity is about the same.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline Brock

« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2010, 11:32:35 pm »
whitetail season starts 15 Aug here...cant wait.  Not sure why I do it in the heat as I swear I wont again next year...but I always do as the chance for a buck in velvet is a huge incentive...but I do enjoy the Oct-Nov hunts as well with leaves turning and cool brisk breeze blowing.  Good luck to everyone.

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2010, 12:27:35 am »
starts here second week of sept. sure i hope i can break the primitive curse on me this time , if so the limit is 12 so maybe i'll eat good.

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2010, 07:46:59 am »
Starts the 4th Sat. in Sept. here, I always look forward to it and have for 30+ years. Haven't missed an opening yet and hope I don't for a few more years at least. I also quit gun hunting 25 years or so ago,but am blessed with lots of deer so I usuall manage to fill the freezer, If it ever works out I don't, believe me I will break out the gun.  :) horns are nice but back strap is better. :)  Good luck ,and hope the weather cools off.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Mechslasher

« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2010, 11:17:10 am »
47 more days here in s.c.
"A liberal is someone who feels a great debt to his fellow man, which debt he proposes to pay off with your money." 

G. Gordon Liddy

Offline lowell

« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2010, 08:27:07 pm »
I"m  thinking the same thing.  Started fletching some arrows the other day and need to order broadheads and would like another ladder stand!!

Shooting some and moved a 3-d target for a different shot......and I think squirrel season starts Aug 1.  ???

I didn't get to hunt last deer season because of a sore shoulder but I think I'm alright for this year!!!!! ;D
My son says I shoot a stick with a stick!!

Offline PeteC

« Reply #8 on: July 31, 2010, 11:00:16 am »
 Josh,I've only known one person who killed a deer,and a pig,his first season, to hunt with all self -made equipment,and that is my son-in -law Zach.I had to pay my dues also,but when you start the success,it seems like it sticks with you.This ought to be your year.
Eddie,its been similar to that here as well,100 degrees at 70%,in other words,no tillering going on here.
Brock,you do it the same reason we all do.It's our lifestyle
Ken,just keep workin' hard at your shootin',and your huntin' skills,and it will happen.Keep your eyes on the prize.
Pappy,I've hunted a long time too,and yes,if,and when, that day comes ,I'll break the smokepole back out too.
Mech,you got 10 days on me brother,I can't help being a little envious.
Lowell,I'm glad your shoulder has healed,(I, can relate,I missed all but the first week of season a few years back after a dislocated shoulder I got playing baseball)
Lookin' forward to seeing all ya'lls successes this upcoming season.  God Bless

Offline predatorcaller

• life is short-enjoy it
« Reply #9 on: August 01, 2010, 01:21:43 am »
our season here in Pa. doesn,t start till Oct. 2nd.the game commmision did give us a  5 day archery season for black bear this year.Me and Hunter-trapper will chase em with the bows and then with the flintlocks in gun season.I,m lucky enough to be headed back to Alaska(near Fairbanks) for 2 weeks in Sept. to help out at a lodge with some construction projects and with their moose hunters.Good luck to all this year and have a great day!!!Lloyd

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #10 on: August 17, 2010, 12:07:04 am »
"Archery Only: October 2-November 5, 2010. No permit required to hunt antlerless deer"

maybe then it'll be in the low 90's...  ::) Might even need a jacket or at least long sleeves. The heat we are experiencing right now is 12 degrees past ridiculous.
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline PeteC

« Reply #11 on: August 17, 2010, 09:50:02 pm »
You know Prof,they said on the Tyler news we've only had 14 consecutive days over 100 degrees,but it sure seems like a longer stretch than that to me.This is the first summer that it has been this hot,for so long,yet,I can't tiller because of super high humidity.I've tried to push it a couple of times and the staves just turn to noodles. A 5 degree break,and 20 point drop in humidity sure would be nice. Oh yea,we're down to 38 days,4 1/2 hours as of now. ;D God Bless

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #12 on: August 18, 2010, 07:14:32 am »
Pete yalls must open the same as ours here in TN. The 25th of Sept.  :) Be here and gone before you know it.  :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline mullet

• Global Moderator
  • Eddie Parker
« Reply #13 on: August 18, 2010, 09:10:26 am »
 I'm waiting for S.C., Sept. 15.
Lakeland, Florida
 If you have to pull the trigger, is it really archery?

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #14 on: August 18, 2010, 09:20:17 am »
You know Prof,they said on the Tyler news we've only had 14 consecutive days over 100 degrees,but it sure seems like a longer stretch than that to me.This is the first summer that it has been this hot,for so long,yet,I can't tiller because of super high humidity.I've tried to push it a couple of times and the staves just turn to noodles. A 5 degree break,and 20 point drop in humidity sure would be nice. Oh yea,we're down to 38 days,4 1/2 hours as of now. ;D God Bless

We've had at or very near 100 since June, and then many more days throughout the summer where it was 98-99 and the heat index made it above 100. So yeah, it's FELT like over a hundred for nearly three months because it HAS felt like over a hundred for nearly three months... I guess the weather records have to be 'accurate' and all that jazz. But yes, I agree that this summer has been too hot to bend wood properly.
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery