Author Topic: Hickory Recurve  (Read 11469 times)

Offline 0209

Hickory Recurve
« on: July 27, 2010, 12:43:26 pm »

Here's another new bow.  Was originally a longbow, but decided to flip the tips and give it a little extra "umph". I think it turned out alright.  Again I'm not too sure of the weight but it feels around 55-65 lbs and boy is she fast.  She can really rocket them arrows out man.  Anyways, thanks for looking, and this was my first try at dying the wood.  I just did the tips because I thought it looked alright so I kept it.  Again thanks for looking and please give some feedback on whatever you see.  Enjoy ;D

HICKORY RECURVE
58" NTN
UNKNOWN LBS (POSSIBLY 55-65)
27" DRAWLENGTH

Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training is austere conditions with minimal food and water. He doesn't worry about what workout to do.his ruck weighs what it weighs and his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. Only he knows the cause. Still want to Quit?
-Unknown

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: Hickory Recurve
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2010, 12:51:23 pm »
Awesome bow!  Those working curves look great as well as the dye job.  Got your Hickory bookmarked for July Self BOM too!   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline 0209

« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2010, 12:54:11 pm »
Thank you Josh.  It sure is appreciated.
Somewhere a True Believer is training to kill you. He is training is austere conditions with minimal food and water. He doesn't worry about what workout to do.his ruck weighs what it weighs and his runs end when the enemy stops chasing him. Only he knows the cause. Still want to Quit?
-Unknown

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2010, 12:58:16 pm »
great tiller, and that bow looks awesome
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2010, 01:10:25 pm »
Very nice job,I have done that myself and usually don't change the tiller much if any at all.  :)
 Nice sleak looking bow. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline 0209

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 01:14:05 pm »
Thanks Pappy, youngbowyer.  The replies are appreciated.  And Pappy you're exactly right, the tiller didnt need too much tinkering with after I put the levers on.
-Unknown

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 01:33:53 pm »
very nice bow excellent work ! gotta love hickory

Offline NTD

« Reply #7 on: July 27, 2010, 01:56:34 pm »
That is an outstanding looking Bow.  Great job.  I love the darker tips too.
Nate Danforth

Cacatch

« Reply #8 on: July 27, 2010, 01:58:49 pm »
Killer bow. I think that piece of hickory wood wanted to be exactly the bow you made it to be. What did you use for string, artificial sinew?

CP

Offline LEGIONNAIRE

« Reply #9 on: July 27, 2010, 02:23:30 pm »
very clean bow, love the stain.
CESAR

LEGIONNAIRE ARCHERY

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #10 on: July 27, 2010, 03:52:16 pm »
That is a most excellent-looking weapon-you nailed that one for sure. Like the dye job, too. How wide are the limbs?
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

half eye

« Reply #11 on: July 27, 2010, 07:24:48 pm »
Dont know if you hunt or not....but that self bow is a classic. Like the other fellas said, clean simple and about perfect.
Rich

Offline 0209

« Reply #12 on: July 27, 2010, 08:07:34 pm »
Thanks half eye, Hillbillly, LEGIONNAIRE, Cacatch, NTD, and ken75.  The replies are all valued.  Means a lot coming from all of you, seeing as you are all great bowyers.  Cacatch, the string was madde for me, never really questioned as to what it was made out of, it just works.  And half eye I do enjoy a good hunt every now and then, nothing too big though, just for bunnies.  I want to get into bigger game eventually but right now I just don't have the time. Ahh and hillbilly, the limbs started out at 1.5 inches with the taper in the last 10 inches.  Can't say for sure what it is now though.  Ill check it and get the measurements back to ya.  Again, thanks to all of you for the kind remarks.
-Ian
-Unknown

Offline Wolgen

« Reply #13 on: July 27, 2010, 09:21:48 pm »
WOW!

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #14 on: July 27, 2010, 09:55:09 pm »
This bow deserves the high praise. Beautiful tiller, absolutely stunning tips (the light to dark transition makes it exceptional there in its own right), and your choice of classic recurve design makes this bow a winner all around. Great job.
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery