Author Topic: Rich Tribute Bow (Ottawa)  (Read 17211 times)

Offline profsaffel

Re: Rich Tribute Bow (Ottawa)
« Reply #15 on: July 27, 2010, 12:00:09 am »
 :-[

Look gentlemen. All I wanted to do was share with everyone this little bow that Rich was kind enough to share with me (and many others). I never wanted to ruin this moment with a heated argument about what label it should have. If it helps calm everyone, we'll just call it "the short bow with scallops down the sides." Now, let's get off the boards and go build some more bows!  ;D
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

half eye

« Reply #16 on: July 27, 2010, 12:01:51 am »
I'm sure that they do too. That's why two of my bows are displayed by the Odawa as replicas of their ancestoral bows. But I've told you that before and it's not good enough. My PA article was approved by Jay Sam before it ever went to Mr. Ingold, but that's not good enough.....hey I get the point that the Royal Canadian Authenticity Police are going to continue to piss up my flagpole, both here , Paleo Planet etc.etc. ; but like I said before the Odawa like it, that's accurate enough for me.

Maybe you ought to get together with the rest of the Moderators and throw me off your site, really dont matter though cause I met some nice people and can stay in touch anyway. If my posts offend you or violate the rules some-how then remove me.....and if not, give it rest, eh?.......please at least don't high-jack other peoples' posts.

Abscence of artifacts only proves that they haven't been found, not that they do not exist.
Rich

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2010, 12:45:22 am »
I really like "your short bow with scallops down the sides",I especially agree with your depiction of rich,He is by far the most generous kind hearted down to earth individual that i have met that i have never really met.Kinda like the stranger giving you the shirt off his back,thats rich.People like Rich are the ones Who keep our passion alive by handin down their knowledge and getting everyday people involved in this addicting culture.Kudos rick and great tribute bow Saffel!
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

Offline Orkraider

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2010, 01:25:29 am »
Awesome bow, I sure do love the way that looks. Can't wait to see more!
Riley, Saint Paul, MN

Offline medicinewheel

« Reply #19 on: July 27, 2010, 03:28:36 am »
I really like those scalloped bows; have to try making one some day...
Frank from Germany...

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #20 on: July 27, 2010, 06:45:59 am »
Nice little bow with Scallops, ;) :) :) Very nice work,great tiller and finish work. Looks like it is ready for the woods. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #21 on: July 27, 2010, 09:03:28 am »
I can see that there is a lack of understanding about this issue  ::).
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #22 on: July 27, 2010, 10:23:16 am »
Thanks Randy, Riley, Frank, Russell and Pappy!!! (I hope I didn't leave anyone out) Come Oct 1, I'll probably see if it will knock a squirrel from a tree.  ;D

By the way, has everyone taken a good look at the little bow on the front cover of the Aug PA? I think it is really incredible how a 'modern' man, decked out with his Mossy Oak camo (probably sprayed down with scent blocker) has a hunting bow that is a truly primitive design! This is what I want to do and why I'm here and I hope to get a similar experience to John's this fall. A great cover *thumbs way up*.

Offline Wolfsongforge

• My name is Kenneth, and I am a bladesmith
« Reply #23 on: July 27, 2010, 01:15:28 pm »
 that bow that you made as a tribute is a BEAUT! I love the color of it. for a second i thought it might have been purple heart, till i saw that is was stained. once again it is a nice bow, and a great sentiment.
Rich makes a heck of a bow! AND he is one of the best dang kind hearted and caring people you would ever hope to meet. if he told me an apple was an apple i would believe him and not need documentation for it, because what is it that historians do anyway? they make informed guesses as to what might have been. thats why they are always backtracking each other and making amends to statements. also if one of the freaking tribes says it is. then i pretty much have to say it is. But this is all my opinion, and everyone knows opinions are like butts. everyone has one and most of them stink...
oh and if that ain't enough to say what kind of person rich is. then when i asked for help for a free camp for homeless, handicapped, and poor kids. well a few stepped up, but rich went above and beyond! I wont get into specifics cause i don't wanna embarrass my friend, but he helped alot. OK i am done carping and moaning. lol cant we all just get along?

God Bless
Kenneth.

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #24 on: July 27, 2010, 01:31:15 pm »
i've often wished i had a professional master bowyer for a neighbor so i could ask his opinion on things ... now im glad canada is not next door !

this is one of the neatest bows ive seen in a while and it inspires me to build scalloped Ottawa bows for the next year or so , now if i could just find a nice giving bowyer to steer me in the right direction... >:D

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #25 on: July 27, 2010, 02:54:50 pm »
i've often wished i had a professional master bowyer for a neighbor so i could ask his opinion on things ... now im glad canada is not next door !

this is one of the neatest bows ive seen in a while and it inspires me to build scalloped Ottawa bows for the next year or so , now if i could just find a nice giving bowyer to steer me in the right direction... >:D

Regardless of that statement, if you were to ask for my opinion I would still give it to you.
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Badger

« Reply #26 on: July 27, 2010, 03:48:53 pm »
     Not trying to hi jack the post or discredit the bow in any way I believe these sights have tried to maintain a high level of historical accuracy when ever possible. The north american indians did have quite a few ceremonial type bows that were not actually used for everyday hunting or warfare that were built a variety of ways more for looks than actual use. I do have a naturally scalloped bow due to branches growing off the sides that could have concievably been made from saplings as mine was. Other than ceremonial or aesthetic reasons their would have been no reason to scallop a bow as survival was the main objective of bows. Steve

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2010, 04:01:23 pm »
But then on the Other Foot....there  was no reason to paint them all up with purty Hyroglyphs and adorn them with Feathers...Beads and other purty stuff either....but they Did....... ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #28 on: July 27, 2010, 09:17:51 pm »
Thought personal attacks were unacceptable? if you cant say something nice.....
Genesis 27: 3

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #29 on: July 27, 2010, 09:27:22 pm »
     Not trying to hi jack the post or discredit the bow in any way I believe these sights have tried to maintain a high level of historical accuracy when ever possible. The north american indians did have quite a few ceremonial type bows that were not actually used for everyday hunting or warfare that were built a variety of ways more for looks than actual use. I do have a naturally scalloped bow due to branches growing off the sides that could have concievably been made from saplings as mine was. Other than ceremonial or aesthetic reasons their would have been no reason to scallop a bow as survival was the main objective of bows. Steve

No prob, Badger, whether intended or not, this thread was highjacked (maybe that's too strong, more like distracted from its intent) long ago.

I've tried and tried to keep the focus here on the bow and not the label but since you brought this related point up, let me propose a reasonable idea.

On page 61 of TBB Vol 2, which I have not to this point seen anyone attempt to discredit or argue against in any fashion, a clear-as-day Seneca bow with scallops down one side is pictured and discussed, including various "unnecessary for survival" decorations. That info is brought to us by the work of Steve Allely based on the history contained in the National Museum of the American Indian. I have to believe that all of those sources have worked toward the goal of historical accuracy as well as can be expected. Now, based on the history in the Historia-Dominion (The Canadian Encyclopedia) and I'm sure a few other legit sources, both the Seneca of the Iroquois people and the Algonquian Ottawa had dealings with one another, probably much in the way of warfare with the Ojibwa's expanding into former Seneca lands. Much like Christian crusaders in the middle eastern lands did about borrowing, adapting, and stealing Muslim tech (and their are plenty of other examples but this was fresh on my mind), it is very possible and even probable that within the last four hundred years, these scalloped bows of various designs were exchanged, stolen, adapted, etc. and not just for religious purposes. To continue the theory, it is possible and probable that at one time or another, most of the Eastern Woodlands groups came into contact with one another and therefore cultural diffusion did indeed run rampant, and with the way history goes, it could very well be that this "Seneca bow" from the TBB was originally an Ojibwa design the Seneca adapted and used for their own in warfare, hunting, whatever, and that the evidence we have today suggests that scallops are with the Iroquois only. But I don't know any of this. I can only speculate based on very reasonable hypotheses that this is possibly an Ottawa but extremely likely at least an Eastern Woodlands style bow, that Marc is looking out for the best interest of the group by being critical of what goes on the web site, and that Rich has what he believes is adequate substantiation of his claims so that I do not have any business discrediting him because I have not visited any museums, reservations, or archaeological sites that can collaborate nor disprove those claims. And I'll leave it at that.

It's situations like these were I wish to goodness I was a research professor at a major university with access to funds... but I'm not. I'm just a small fry teaching prof at a community college. However, I'm putting this on my top five possible research topics for publication if my future allows me to go this route. In the mean time, I'm going to keep making scalloped bows and enjoying life.

Ok, lecture over. I'll expect an essay on this on my desk by Monday and test will be conducted next Friday. Class dismissed. (sorry, relapse)  ;D

Finally, can I ask that if anyone else would like to discuss historical authenticity, may they humbly start their own thread, entitle it something like "Debate over Ottawa bow authenticity" or whatever, and have a good time doing that if you so choose.  

Now I've got a stave that is begging to be whittled upon, so I'm outta here. Have a great evening.

-Prof