Author Topic: Rich Tribute Bow (Ottawa)  (Read 17210 times)

Offline profsaffel

Rich Tribute Bow (Ottawa)
« on: July 26, 2010, 09:56:31 am »

Ever since Rich Rousseau's article "Building Authentic Ottawa Bows" came out in the Feb/Mar issue of PA, I've been a little more than obsessed with short, scalloped style bows that he makes so well. I knew then I'd have to make at least one of these. After reading the article many times, however, a few technical questions remained. Naturally, I asked around on the boards and everyone redirected me to "half eye", or Rich's handle on the message boards. What many mentioned is how helpful and friendly he would be. They were correct.
   I emailed Rich several times before attempting my first Ottawa, and he always responded back promptly with tremendous insight and patience. What I expected was a "form letter" response to my inquiries, but "half eye" was always down to earth, sometimes apologetic if his responses were confusing, and never seemed to be bothered by my questions. After my first failed attempt at recreating one of these unusual bows, Rich gave me specific reasons why it failed and responded with pictures and diagrams to help. Most astonishing is when he took it upon himself to send me, via regular mail, a couple of real working rough Ottawa bows so that I could better understand the process. Few people anywhere would do such a thing without expecting to get something in return!
   I promised Rich I'd post my first working Ottawa in the BOM since he insists in omitting his every month. Maybe doing so will encourage others to try this design. So, without further ado, I present the Rich Rousseau Tribute Bow in honor of a great bow-building mentor and one of the most giving individuals I've encountered.
   The bow is 51" ntn, and comes out close to 35# at 26". I marked it at 24" for 'safety', but I know very well that I can draw it back to my full length with no problems. Solid hickory construction, it sports a deep red-brown stain and sealed with Tung oil. The decoration for this bow remained subtle in honor of our friend. Don't let the size fool you, this bow will zip an arrow as well as the big boys at similar weight.
   To add, I think a better tribute will be to make several more of these bows and give them away, hopefully teaching at least one other person how to make them in the process. Perhaps half eye's Ottawa bow might become the official PIF bow of PA magazine!

Thanks for reading,
Doug

[attachment deleted by admin]
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

half eye

Re: Rich Tribute Bow (Ottawa)
« Reply #1 on: July 26, 2010, 10:10:25 am »
holy crap, Doug
       You sure built a fine "boise-de-arc" that tiller couldn't hardly be more of a circle. The main thing is YOU built it, not me, all I did was give ya some drawings.......very nicely done.
       Now I got to see if I can get the red off my face ;D That is a very nice Ottawa my friend.
Rich

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #2 on: July 26, 2010, 10:24:55 am »
That came out great! Very nicely done. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 11:02:30 am »
Cool Bow!   :)  Bookmarked for July Self BOM fun too.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline gmc

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 11:08:56 am »
That did come out great, nice work!
Central Kentucky

Offline John K

« Reply #5 on: July 26, 2010, 01:05:58 pm »
Sweet bow ! One just like it is on my list !!
The only way to fail is to never start !

Offline profsaffel

« Reply #6 on: July 26, 2010, 02:28:32 pm »
holy crap, Doug
       You sure built a fine "boise-de-arc" that tiller couldn't hardly be more of a circle. The main thing is YOU built it, not me, all I did was give ya some drawings.......very nicely done.
       Now I got to see if I can get the red off my face ;D That is a very nice Ottawa my friend.
Rich

Thanks all. Yeah, Rich. I figured this might embarrass you a smidgen, but I figured you'll recover.  ;) In the future, I will make a "hunting weight" bow similar to this one, now that I've got a successful one under my belt. And my first PIF bow will go to my bowyer friend Dave. He taught me half of what I know about bow making to this point, and he'd love to try to make his own if he has an example.
Professor of History, Student of Bowyery

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #7 on: July 26, 2010, 02:48:49 pm »
thats what its all about , and your right Doug he is a rare breed , so unlike most of the self centered folks today !

Offline mox1968

« Reply #8 on: July 26, 2010, 06:52:43 pm »
great job done on that bow,you got the ottowa scallops nailed.

Offline n2huntn

• jeff_smith13@hotmail.com ROLL TIDE !
« Reply #9 on: July 26, 2010, 07:12:07 pm »
Mr. Rich taught me how to make mine as well, the tribute is well deserved. Nicely done, I hope to pay tribute come deer season by making meat with one.
Jeff
Genesis 27: 3

Grunt

« Reply #10 on: July 26, 2010, 08:30:34 pm »
Great little bow. Sure like to see folks pushing down boundaries. Best use for good quartersawn material  I've seen.

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #11 on: July 26, 2010, 08:55:31 pm »
Great job on the bow!  Rich aka HalfEye is a great friend and a great bowyer.  I cant say enough or thank him enough for all the tips, ideas, info, etc...  When it comes to native americans he is like a human museum.  For those who know him knowwhat Im talking about.  Very nice bow again and Rich I missed the article Im going to have to get it now...Have a great day!

Russell
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #12 on: July 26, 2010, 09:45:15 pm »
Nice bow but as I said elsewhere this really shouldn't be called an Ottawa bow until it is proven to be so.  There are no artifacts collected that substantiate the claim.

Perhaps Rich would care to provide some documentation?
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline Marc St Louis

• Administrator
  • Keep it flexible
    • Marc's Bows and Arrows
« Reply #13 on: July 26, 2010, 09:58:27 pm »
Nice bow but as I said elsewhere this really shouldn't be called an Ottawa bow until it is proven to be so.  There are no artifacts collected that substantiate the claim.

Perhaps Rich would care to provide some documentation

I,m sure some people care but I'm not one of them ;D  Whatever it is you did a great job on it :) Cool looking bow and nice tiller

Perhaps you don't but I'm sure the Ottawa care and so do their ancestors
Home of heat-treating, Corbeil, On.  Canada

Marc@Ironwoodbowyer.com

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #14 on: July 26, 2010, 11:43:30 pm »
Who gives a crap if its Ottawa, Apache, or from Outerspace why does someone have to provide documents on a bow that they had made?  What I want to know is does the pyramid bow really come from Egypt? In my opininion Ive seen a few bows that were not classified correctly but each time I commend the maker of the bow and move on.  I didnt know there was a trial going on or DNA was needed to prove the verdict.  If a fellow PA member and friend says its an Ottawa bow I have no reason to disbelieve him otherwise. This is a fact and not my opinion!  Good day!

AncientArcher76
Russell Hill
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill