Author Topic: getting back into the game - need advice  (Read 1997 times)

Offline NorthernArcher

• Alberta Traditional Bowhunters Association
getting back into the game - need advice
« on: July 25, 2010, 10:35:25 pm »
I've been out of the game for a few years now, and would like to start shooting again, but my 60# osage selfbow is a bit much for me.  I was considering retillering it closer to 50#, and was wondering if anyone could give me some advice on this.  My biggest question is whether or not it is a good idea to retiller a bow to a lighter draw weight, or if attempting to do so will potentially damage the bow.  Any advice would be helpful.

Jason
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."

Offline woodstick

Re: getting back into the game - need advice
« Reply #1 on: July 25, 2010, 11:19:17 pm »
it wont hurt a thing i have done it just go slow and dont go past your weight. take off the wood full length of the limb with a scraper. check it alot.
a drawn bow is a stick 9/10 broken

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: July 25, 2010, 11:28:31 pm »
Also remember to exercise it alot between scrapings to reveal the true tiller of your bow. It might be a good idea to take a pic of your bow at full draw before you remove excess draw weight so you will have a guide for keeping your bend in each limbs the same at your new weight as it was at the higher weight.  Good luck and welcome back!   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline NorthernArcher

• Alberta Traditional Bowhunters Association
« Reply #3 on: July 26, 2010, 10:48:34 pm »
Thanks for the advice.  I'll give it a try.  :)
"We do not inherit the earth from our ancestors, we borrow it from our children."

Offline AncientArcher76

« Reply #4 on: July 26, 2010, 11:20:54 pm »
Hi NA I would also say as mentioned if u are going to go that way to be careful and take ur time!  No rushing scraper a good idea, also not sure ur circumstances but "whatif" u were to build a new one and slowly work ur way back up to the poundage?  I dont want to see working bow have a woops and then be in bow heaven.  Hey only a suggestion I am known as the  what if guy...lol but otherwise good luck and these guys especially the ones who make a lot of bows are all good on helping, tips, and advice.  Take care lets see some pics!!!

AncientArcher
Time, dedication, cuts, tons of broken rock, a wife, and perhaps a few girlfriends are some of what it takes in becoming a skilled flint knapper!!!

"Ancient Art"  by R. Hill

Offline Pappy

• Global Moderator
  • if you have to ask you wouldn't understand ,Tenn.
« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2010, 06:51:37 am »
I do it for folks all the time,no problem. If it is tillered good now just keep it even as you scrape.
Lots of beginners want to stop when the tiller looks good,afraid they will mess it up.Then later when they realize it is to heavy we take it down a little. :)
   Pappy
Clarksville,Tennessee
TwinOaks Bowhunters
Life is Good

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2010, 10:55:41 am »
Almost all my bows come in 10-15 over poundage so I have to drop them down after I get them tillered. I have found that 10 good hard scrapes the length of the limbs equals about a 1# drop in poundage. I scrape 10 times, recheck the tiller with my tillering gizmo, exercise the limbs and give the bow 10 more scrapes and repeat the above.

If you don't have a gizmo here is how to make one.

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=001047