Author Topic: string ideas  (Read 10440 times)

Offline 15yearold.archer

string ideas
« on: July 22, 2010, 12:48:29 pm »
Hey Guys I finished my board bow well almost just some final tillering pulling abut 43 at 20 inches. .ordered my string from deep river outfitters I dnt wanna wait a week tho. Anyone have any temporary suggestions .nylon string won't hold but if I braided it wpuld it?

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
Re: string ideas
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 12:58:06 pm »
I would order some B-50 string material from one of our sponsors like 3 Rivers Archery.  For the price of two strings, you can buy two spools of different-colored B-50 and make 30 of your own strings.  there are string builds online that show you how to do the flemmish twist string method and how to make the jig using a 2x4 and a few finishing nails.  I used to buy my strings but learned how to make my own because I got tired of waiting on strings too. Call around in your area and see if any of your outdoor stores carry longbow strings and maybe you will luck up and find one that carries them.  But if you are gonna make a bunch of bows, I believe it is vital to learn to make your own strings as well.  JMO.    :)  Good luck!
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 01:20:00 pm »
Go to the hardware store and buy a spool of #36 Mason's Line.  Do not buy the thinner #18 line.  You'll have enough to make close to a hundred bows for about a dollar a bow.
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 02:39:21 pm »
Sorry to but in on the thread but with the masons line do you have to pre stretch it? if so what is a good method for this? thanks
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline 15yearold.archer

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 02:44:48 pm »
Hey guys well as im waiting for my bow string to come I hd an idea an it works too..lawnmower replacment cord at any big box store

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 02:48:02 pm »
Good idea! 15
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Offline 15yearold.archer

« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 04:08:10 pm »
yah it stretches a little but just string and unstring the bow and make the untill it stretches a bit and then re tie the loops to make the string shorter it works pretty good actualy

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 04:15:30 pm »
I wonder if you hung a piece of string you were gonna use from something and hung a weight or five gallon bucket full of water from it and let it sit for a day or two it would get rid of the stretch? just an idea you would think it could only stretch so far before you get all the stretch out :-\

Offline sailordad

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 07:18:58 pm »
personally i wouldnt waste my time with anything other than b50 dacron

for what it costs per roll and the number of strings you cant get from a 1/4lb roll
and its never taken longer than 3 days from 3R archery to get to my house
ive never tried mason line or lawn mower cord or anything of the such
i wont even use para cord for a long tiller string
all my tiller strings are b50 dacron just like my bow strings

im kinda anal about things,maybe its just me
but just like at work i believe in using the right tool and using the tool right
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 07:23:33 pm »
Two rolls of Dacron is like 17 dollars plus the 8 dollars shipping, so you can make Thirty  66" long 14 strand strings for 25 bucks...  :) And have the peace of mind knowing you used good material.  I don't want to spend countless hours on my bow only to have it break because of a string failure, but that's just me...  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline sailordad

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 07:30:12 pm »
Two rolls of Dacron is like 17 dollars plus the 8 dollars shipping, so you can make Thirty  66" long 14 strand strings for 25 bucks...  :) And have the peace of mind knowing you used good material.  I don't want to spend countless hours on my bow only to have it break because of a string failure, but that's just me...  :)

exactly
use the right tool,use the tool right  ;)
always less chance of a something going wrong when you follow that rule
i always wanted a harley,untill it became the "thing to ride"
i ride because i love to,not to be part of the crowd

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 08:30:41 pm »
Good points :)

Offline Orkraider

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 10:13:29 pm »
I got one big roll of b-50 for a song, it was the last the guy had. It's white. For my second color on the string, I take half the strands and color them with a sharpie. It works great. I'll buy a spool of white again when this one runs out.
Riley, Saint Paul, MN

Offline Archer156

« Reply #13 on: July 23, 2010, 10:49:04 am »
Go to Walmart to the crafts section and buy one black and one white waxed linen spool of string. It is very strong. Use 6 black and 6 white it will make a good bow string for 4.50$. Kenny

Offline 15yearold.archer

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 05:09:15 pm »
Archer 156 to I have to braid it?