Author Topic: How long to split?  (Read 3804 times)

JustinNC

Re: How long to split?
« Reply #15 on: July 25, 2010, 03:56:29 pm »
Hopefully I can get J.C. over one day soon to help me split it. What's best to seal it with? Might have something here I can use or I may have to go to Lowes to get something. New to the game and always on the look out now for potential bow wood.

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #16 on: July 25, 2010, 05:45:43 pm »
A big bottle of Titebond II or III is handy to have around the house for lotsa projects.  Two or three coats of that will treat the ends quickly enough.  Thin it slightly and use a paintbrush to cover the back of the bow if you elect to remove the bark, again two coats will be fine.  For that matter, the second coat is really there to hit any spot that might have been missed on the first coat.

Losta guys use lotsa other stuff including latex paint (used that myself with great results), Beeswax, lacquer, tar, rubber cement, and more. 
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

JustinNC

« Reply #17 on: July 27, 2010, 06:14:28 pm »
Well got a can of shellac today from Lowes. Any last minute suggestions? Barring a driving rain and lightening I'm going to split it this afternoon. Should I remove the sapwood or leave it until it is dry? Tree seems big enough to get "inner staves" as well. How should I handle them ? Wish I had a pic to post. It's a pretty good sized tree.

JustinNC

« Reply #18 on: July 27, 2010, 06:19:09 pm »
On second thought, I can't remember how thick the heart wood is, and if I take the xylem off, the heart may not be thick enough for two staves all the way around.

Ok if I take the bark off and leave the sapwood, seal where the bark was and the ends? and if I take the sapwood off, seal the side the sapwood was on and the ends?
« Last Edit: July 27, 2010, 06:22:33 pm by JustinNC »

JustinNC

« Reply #19 on: July 28, 2010, 12:44:08 am »
Rain got me today. Should be on for tomorrow though good Lord willing.  :-\