Author Topic: How long to split?  (Read 3803 times)

Offline jonathan creason

How long to split?
« on: July 22, 2010, 09:46:54 am »
Well, I think I may have my brother-in-law hooked.  He called yesterday and said he spotted a couple of trees that were knocked down in a storm last week that might work for bow staves.  Turns out it was Black Locust and Persimmon, so I told him to get them if he could.  Problem is, they've already been down for a week.  He's planning on cutting them this weekend, but said he'd like to wait until I can help him split them.  Since I'm heading to Pat's Saturday, that's out, and we're taking our youth group to the beach next weekend.  How long can the log sit before rot and fungus starts to set in?  He said the tree boles looked pretty straight, so I'd hate to see some good bow wood go to waste.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
Re: How long to split?
« Reply #1 on: July 22, 2010, 09:48:56 am »
Depending on the conditions (how wet has it been, have the trees been sitting in a puddle, etc.) a week shouldn't be much of a problem IMO.  Others will probably disagree though.
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #2 on: July 22, 2010, 09:52:55 am »
I would split it as soon as Possible...the BL...should be no Problem for that little time...it's more bug resistant than Persimmon...but I would split it soon...or you could always put it up after you spray it with a Fungicide...and Borax...to keep molds and bugs from starting their natural routine
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #3 on: July 22, 2010, 10:52:46 am »
The locust will last durn near forever, but the persimmon won't. A week shouldn't be a problem.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #4 on: July 22, 2010, 11:00:09 am »
Thanks guys.  From what he said there's still some root in the ground on both and the leaves are still green.  I'm guessing the crown in probably keeping the boles from each tree off the ground, so hopefully that helps some.
Cleveland, NC

"The only thing cooler than bands that gets lots of chicks are bands that scare chicks." - Beavis

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: July 22, 2010, 11:04:28 am »
Seal the ends with glue, poly before the tree hits the ground. Bring the log inside in a cool place and let it settle for a week. Then split it into staves. I always left the bark on. You can take it off but if you do seal it. You an also remove the sapwood but seal the back. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline Hillbilly

• I like tater tots.
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2010, 02:08:36 pm »
If they still have green leaves on them, they'll be fine and dandy until they don't.
Smoky Mountains, NC

NeolithicHillbilly@gmail.com

Progress might have been all right once but it's gone on for far too long.

Offline jonathan creason

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 02:14:34 pm »
Cool deal, thanks Jawge and Hillbilly.  Hopefully we'll have some good wood before too long.
Cleveland, NC

JustinNC

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2010, 05:46:35 pm »
Well this is my first post. I'm the bro n law in question. Going after the wood in the morning. The wood is still green. It's still attached to the stump and the roots (well part of em) are still in the ground on all wood in question. I don't know a lot about this right now, but I figure if a week and a half in 90-100F temps hadn't wilted it by now, the trees are still alive. The straight parts are indeed off of the ground. As Jonathan said, the crown has the trunk supported on both the locust and the persimmons. I can try to get it split this weekend. I just don't want to mess it up, especially the persimmon, it's not as easily available. Hopefully by the time it's dry enough to work, I'll know enough to build a bow and only mess half a dozen up before I get one that shoots.  :D

Offline El Destructo

• Longhaired Crippled Hippie Biker And Proud Of It!!
    • Desert Sportz Primitive Archery
« Reply #9 on: July 23, 2010, 07:11:37 pm »
If the Foliage is still green and not wilting...take your time...and cut it when you are ready.... it will be fine...go have fun at PatB's Party...ans wish Him a Happy Birthday from me too... ;)
As a species we're fundamentally insane. Put more than two of us in a room, we pick sides and start dreaming up ways to kill one another.Why do you think we invented politics and religion.
Think HEALTHCARE Is Expensive Now,Wait Till It's FREE
Do Or Do Not,There Is No TRY
2024...We Will Overcome

JustinNC

« Reply #10 on: July 23, 2010, 07:59:05 pm »
I need to go ahead and cut it. The locust is in the edge of a guys yard and was the next victim of his chainsaw before I got a hold of him and asked him if I could have it. The persimmon is right on the side of the road. Surprised NCDOT hasn't laid claim to it yet. I think the only reason they haven't is because it's in a yard as well. Looking forward to getting it and seeing what kind of bow making goodness I end up with.

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #11 on: July 24, 2010, 10:23:02 am »
I never cut persimmon. In fact, I had a hard time spelling it. LOL. My remarks were for BL. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline shamus

« Reply #12 on: July 24, 2010, 11:28:40 am »
I'd split it as soon as it's cut down, as long as the staves will be 4-6" wide. Otherwise, they may twist. Skinny staves can twist as they dry, so with small logs, I'd just split them in half.

More on drying wood: http://analogperiphery.blogspot.com/2008/08/drying-and-seasoning-wood.html

Hope it helps.

JustinNC

« Reply #13 on: July 24, 2010, 03:10:04 pm »
Well I left the persimmon. 3 trunks, 2 were clean but had some knots and the other was slam bam thank ya ma'am full of poison ivy. So I just left them where they are. As for the locust. It's a nice log, or so I thought, until I got it cut and it rolled and theres a biiiig dry knot in it  >:(. Hopefully it's big enough to work around, but certainly not going to get what I thought we'd get from it.

As for splitting it. Not happening today!!! We cut the whole tree up and had brushed cleared, and rest of it sawed up in firewood and loaded by 10:00am. Well then came time to cut the main trunk that I wanted for staves off of the stump. took us til 12:00 to load it on the trailer back up to it

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #14 on: July 24, 2010, 04:39:58 pm »
Consider it "Basic Training" before you can become a bow building warrior!  Post some pics and let us know how it is coming, and congratulations on starting a new addiction.
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.