Author Topic: first bow and second one in the making  (Read 4903 times)

Offline 15yearold.archer

first bow and second one in the making
« on: July 21, 2010, 04:30:10 pm »
hey guys the bow thats strung is my first one kinda weak came out 25 pounds at 26 inches the second one however that is not strung is what im working on now i really want a 55 pounder for hunting the dimensons are from kegan that he gave me on my last post i anyone saw them basicall full width of a 1x2 oak board till about 15 inches from the tips then a straight taper to 1/2 inch tips as for thickness its coming allong but i just wanna know how thin i should make it fora 55 or around there

[attachment deleted by admin]

Paka

Re: first bow and second one in the making
« Reply #1 on: July 21, 2010, 04:33:28 pm »
25 lbs is  a fun bow to shoot , keep it up ;D

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #2 on: July 21, 2010, 04:40:01 pm »
Looks good for a first bow.  On your next one though, try to get a little more working limb near the handle.  first 1/3 of your top and bottom limb aren't doing their share of the work.  My 2nd bow looked about the same as yours does.  Keep it up, I promise it gets easier as you go.  Congrats on getting a shooter with your first... most people don't.   :)  Got it bookmarked for July Self BOM contest too!  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline 15yearold.archer

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 04:51:55 pm »
Ha I don't think its a winner but Ill try how do I do that though

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 04:58:13 pm »
Ha I don't think its a winner but Ill try how do I do that though

How do you do what? If you are talkin about the Bow of the Month contest, all you have to do is post a full draw pic of your bow... I do the rest  :) :)  8)  Can't wait to see your next one too.  Keep it up!  -josh
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline George Tsoukalas

• Traditional and Primitive Archers
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 05:20:15 pm »
Good for you! On the next get that near handle wood moving a bit more. Jawge
Set Happens!
If you ain't breakin' you ain't makin!

Offline cowboy

• Paul Wolfe. Springtown, TX
« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 05:31:16 pm »
Looks good for a first but as already said you want more of that wood bending from the handle out  :).
When you come upon a track or trail you do not know, follow it to the point of knowing.

Offline 15yearold.archer

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 05:35:02 pm »
Yes thats  wat I meant josh the pics already there to can u use that? An my next one will deffintly have a more even tiller.  I'm also backin the next one with veneer an under a coat of clear gloss the 4 layer hande wil look awsome

half eye

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 05:40:36 pm »
Hey bud,
     Sounds like to the old man, you got a pretty good handle on what yer doing, keep at it. For what it's worth, if it bends and launchs arrows then it's a bow.....period. If it aint what ya had in mind, make another one (like yer doin) good for you, and welcome to the addiction  ;D
rich

Offline 22arrows

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 06:17:58 pm »
Not too shabby for you first one..you shoulda seen mine ;) Or should i say the peaces of it ;D

Offline adb

« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 06:26:26 pm »
Keep going, and make some more! Your bow is a typical example of what's called whip tillering. Only the outer third of the limbs are doing any work. Get all the limb involved next time!

Offline Eric Krewson

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 09:01:52 pm »
I will send you a tillering gizmo if you want one.  It will take the mystery out of where you need to remove wood to get the whole limb bending.

Here is how to make one if you have a few tools

http://tradgang.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=125;t=001047

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #12 on: July 21, 2010, 09:25:11 pm »
you should take Eric up on his offer, he sent me one, it's great!
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Offline 15yearold.archer

« Reply #13 on: July 21, 2010, 10:22:38 pm »
I will for sure check that out an the second one is pulling bout 60 I think but as I was cgecking my nylon string that I used for a light bow gave through I don't know how to make one and I have nowere to buy a bowstring around here anyother options I reaaally wana start shootin the thing but no string makes it hard

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #14 on: July 22, 2010, 03:21:58 am »
I use 80# trorline or masonry cord,double it up and put some overhand loop knots and it doesnt stretch to bad.I'm sure someone with more experience will chime in so jus hang in there.good job on your first
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA