Author Topic: River Cane Backing  (Read 2923 times)

Offline Thwackaddict

River Cane Backing
« on: July 20, 2010, 03:40:00 pm »
Any ever use river cane for backing?I cut a piece this spring at my grandads that measured 45' its about 4inches in diameter.Since its a type of boo will it work like boo?
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
Re: River Cane Backing
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 03:54:59 pm »
You've got some bamboo there, but I'd say it's a not River Cane (Arundinaria gigantea), but some other species gone wild.  True River Cane doesn't get more than about an inch in diameter and normally grows to less than 30 ft tall.

That being said, in many ways bamboo is bamboo and will all work pretty much alike.  However, like woods, there are some subtle and not so subtle differences between species, depending on what you want to do with it.  As a freebie, it sure can't hurt to try and baking backing out of it!  Split that 4" culm into strips about 2" wide and start sanding the inside until you get a nice flat surface.  Leave the outside alone.

Once upon a time I made a bamboo backed and bellied bundle bow about 48" long with 1-1/2" wide bamboo strips simply lashed together.  I epoxied and tied wooden tips on the ends for nocks.  Worked pretty darn good - nice snappy cast to it.

Generally speaking you want to harvest 1-2 year old culms.  Not the newest greenest growth, and not the old brown and dead culms.
« Last Edit: July 20, 2010, 04:01:15 pm by KenH »
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 03:59:03 pm »
Thanks ken i will post pics of it tonight

Southwest,VA

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 02:50:17 am »
Heres some pics of em,i cut em into 6-6.5 foot pieces.biggest one is 3 in and smallest is maybe 1-1.25.How can i tell what species it is?My grandad has a huge Patch on our family farm.

[attachment deleted by admin]

Southwest,VA

Offline KenH

• The Kilted Cook
    • The Kilted Cook Personal Chef
« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 10:49:30 am »
Here's a couple link that may help in IDing your bamboo.

http://www.bamboo-identification.co.uk/

http://www.bamboogarden.com/Timber%20Bamboos.htm

Species really isn't going to matter much, though, if all you're doing is making bow backing.  I would say, just at first glance, that the bamboo you get is well cured, but not too old.  Sure wish that the bamboo patch down the block from here had culms like that!  I'd be specializing in making all-bamboo bows!
You Kill It - I Cook It!
Ken Hulme,
The Kilted Cook Personal Chef Service

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 01:27:12 pm »
Ken-thanks for the info.I will take some pics of the patch next time I'm over there,i would say jus guessing it covers a qurter of an acre or more.

Southwest,VA