Author Topic: Last stave of gauva, some pics of getting started  (Read 6110 times)

Offline elk country rp

Re: Last stave of gauva, some pics of getting started
« Reply #15 on: July 23, 2010, 12:49:16 pm »
that right limb has me worried a little. if it were me, i'd get the left limb bending the same amount or maybe even a hair more than the right, then scrape the right from midlimb out to the tips before i pulled it another inch. if you pull much more, you may end up with set in the right limb where it's starting to hinge now.

as far as the width vs thickness goes, i'd focus on thickness now & leave the thinning for later when you fine tune the tiller.

lookin good so far!
Rob

Offline Blacktail

« Reply #16 on: July 23, 2010, 12:57:44 pm »
one of these days i will have GAUVA..LOL....JOHN

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #17 on: July 23, 2010, 01:03:10 pm »
Here's what I would do at this point if it were mine.   :)  Try and get it bending evenly before going any futher.  Good luck!  :)

[attachment deleted by admin]
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Paka

« Reply #18 on: July 24, 2010, 02:38:58 am »
Awesome guys, just got home from a really long, hard day and that put a smile on my face. I admit I have alot to learn because I would of probally done the exact opposite of what you drew out Josh.  Tank's for that detailed graphic  picture . When can I go to a shorter string?? And will it be like a 4 inch brace???

Paka

« Reply #19 on: July 24, 2010, 08:47:11 am »
 Welp heres some progress I hope. Tried what you mentioned Josh and a little more. This shot is  at 21" at 47 pounds . I'm hoping for a bow between 53 to 47 , am I on the right track?? The tillering string is snug to bow. What do you all think?? I had it at 50 pounds at 22 inches. Thanks all , Paka

Offline Josh

« Reply #20 on: July 24, 2010, 02:07:49 pm »
Lookin good so far, I would still remove a little bit from mid-limb out on both limbs and your left limb is still a little stronger than the right, I would bring it to a low brace after you do that little bit of scraping I mentioned.  I think this one is gonna turn out pretty good.   :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Paka

« Reply #21 on: July 25, 2010, 08:29:34 am »
This tillering process is driving me Lolo (bonkers) ;) I only have time from 10:30 pm till 12:30 am to work on my bows so I'm pretty delirious now . Anyways I hope I'm getting somewhere. Did what you said Josh , exept Idont have a scraper , I'm still using a rasp so I will be sanding jus a little more than you all do but this is where it is now.  She"s 30 lbs @ 18 ".  35 lbs @ 20 " , and I got to 40lbs @ 22 " tonight. The photo is at 21 inches.  I figure at that pace  at 27 inches she"ll be aroug 50 lbs after sanding I hope ??? Antways heres the photo, please keep the idea"s and recomendation"s coming. Thanks so much ,  Paka

Paka

« Reply #22 on: July 25, 2010, 08:31:06 am »
 Forgot photo ;D

Offline Josh

« Reply #23 on: July 25, 2010, 06:37:59 pm »
Stay away from the fades--especially the right one.The left limb is still stronger... weaken the left limb from mid-limb out.   :)

Offline Josh

« Reply #24 on: July 25, 2010, 07:27:56 pm »
Have you braced it yet?  now might be a good time to take it to a low brace of 2-3 inches... First brace will magnify any tillering flaws you couldn't see on the long string.  As soon as you brace it, If it doesn't look right, unbrace it and scrape where it needs to be scraped, exercise it on the long string about 30 times, and then try bracing it again.  Do this till it braces evenly then continue tillering it with it braced on the short string.  Good luck, I think this one is going to turn out nice.  :)

Paka

« Reply #25 on: July 25, 2010, 10:20:31 pm »
 Will do Josh , thanks for the coaching , really appreciate it :D

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #26 on: July 26, 2010, 12:15:53 pm »
Paka , I might chime in, Josh is right the right limb is hingeing on you. Take a small block of wood about 6 inches long and 1 inch wide. Screw a wood screw thru , just enough to scratch the wood it comes in touch with. We will call this a tillering gig. Now run your gig up and down the limbs and mark the area your gig scrapes with a pencil. You then will be able to see the area where you need to remove material. Use a old file or fat knife for a scraper till you get one.A pc of broken glass works too. Stay away from the hing area.work on the left limb till you get close. Then vocus on the area above the hinge area scraping a little towards the tip. fine tune till you get them bending equal. I give classes at my shop all the time and people run into this lotsa times. So you aren't alone. Be patient and scrape ,flex scrape, flex until the bow is revealed. If you go slow it will work. You probably will loose pounds at this stage, but , there are other options down the road. Good Luck Denny

Paka

« Reply #27 on: July 27, 2010, 04:03:05 am »
 OK guys, so braced it late last night at 3 " ???and really saw hinge on right limb  fade and saw left was really stiff. I worked on the mid left limb to tip and still have more to go. My camera went down so I need to get that fixed ??? But I"m gonna catch up on some rest tonight, make that limb jig and continue on tommorow. I also ordered some B-50 , serving, and serving tool from 3 Rivers wich should be coming in soon  . Thats a whole nother adventure coming ;)  Thank's guys for all the tip's and advice , I really appreciate it all ;D Talk to you all latter . Paka

Paka

« Reply #28 on: August 03, 2010, 03:57:36 am »
 OK guy I'M back,
      Got my string materials last week and learned how to make flemish strings, I've made 5 in the last week for all our bows.  Me , wife , and 3 of my 4 kids.  The bow was getting close to around 45 pounds at  28 inches so I stopped tillering. I"ll post some pics, jst fixed my camera. Ahh, baby fussy , talk later. Paka

Paka

« Reply #29 on: August 04, 2010, 08:05:04 am »
  Well got to ecxersise it a little and work on string tonight.  Tomorrow I"ll increase barace a bit and try to get some full draw pics soon. I noticed my bottom limb is an inch shorter, is that common?? Or shood I try to make the the same length next time??
  Am asking around for silk to back next bow , this is just cotton . Anyways , enjoy pics and will catch you all later. Paka
 P.S. will also add handle work tonight .