Author Topic: Last stave of gauva, some pics of getting started  (Read 6111 times)

Paka

Last stave of gauva, some pics of getting started
« on: July 20, 2010, 06:29:39 am »
This is hopefully the one, made a bunch of bows that didnt hold or  or meet the weight I wanted  but  thought I
d post some pics of my rookie build along

[attachment deleted by admin]

Paka

Re: Last stave of gauva, some pics of getting started
« Reply #1 on: July 20, 2010, 06:35:04 am »
 I think this is recurved limbs , not decurved right??

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #2 on: July 20, 2010, 01:21:01 pm »
Paka looks like a challenging stave im interested in seein this one born

Paka

« Reply #3 on: July 20, 2010, 06:26:08 pm »
Well got out the block plane and rasp last nite , and tried taking it down to flloor tillering size weight . For anyone gettig started, I've bein using a machete and rasp in the past for all these stages so far untill I got a $10 dollar block plane and what a difference it makes. Long even wood removal without alot of machete gauges . If anyones like me and starting off without many funds or wood working tool's , work with what you got and try to slowly add to your tool inventory. Plus , when you do get a new tool you'll really apprecaite it , and have all the memories off other techniques you have tried. Anyways here some pics

Paka

« Reply #4 on: July 20, 2010, 06:29:48 pm »
 I'll put it up on the tree  after a little more wood removal and I'll take any advice on tillering you all may have ;) . Till later Paka

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 06:41:59 pm »
...just take it slow and get it bending evenly from fades to tips... when I first started I went and looked at all the full draw pictures of other peoples bows I could find on the message board.  Then just tried to get the same bend.  :)  Good luck! 
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 07:09:23 pm »
looks good so far
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Paka

« Reply #7 on: July 21, 2010, 08:06:12 am »
heres progress tonight 1st pic long string hanging 13 inches . 2nd pic is at 19 inches at 35 lbs . 3rd pic is 20" at 40 pounds . I"m shooting for 27 " draw at 50 pounds. I'm gonna keep working on shaving down limbs for the right bends . Is my long string to long?? Should I long string to 27 inches at 50 lbs  , then go to short string?? What do you all think? Any comments would be great ;) Paka

Offline bambule

« Reply #8 on: July 21, 2010, 09:06:56 am »
I give the bow a good floor tiller and brace it very early. The long string gives a wrong picture.
Be careful - a reflexed stave like yours often feels too strong so scraping too much wood and coming to a 30# is the result  ::)

And yes - your long string is too long (for me)  ;D
Niedersachsen, Germany

Paka

« Reply #9 on: July 21, 2010, 04:35:50 pm »
10/4 there buddy , I'll shorten the string ;)

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #10 on: July 21, 2010, 04:50:24 pm »
Just remember to go slow and keep it bending evenly.  Exercise it good between wood removal sessions.  Gonna be a nice-un if you take your time with it.  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Paka

« Reply #11 on: July 21, 2010, 08:34:48 pm »
 Its 1.5 inches at widest points and am wondering if its safer to shave wood off the sides and leave more wood on belly , or just take wood off the belly and keep the width ??? I feel like I"ll probally do both in the end But am ruuning all I can by you all . Thanks Guys and Gals Paka

Paka

« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 07:41:40 am »
Aloha  Woodbending Folks ;D ,
   Well I shortened my long string to 5 inches of play before it pulls on limbs . Thats the 1st pic. Second pic is at 50# at 20 inches . Will keep shaving away .   ;) Tommorow I'll go to short sting , then to brace hopefully in the future .Midnight here, time to crash . Paka
  Actually the 1st pic is now the 2nd pic , n 2nd pic 1st ???

Offline youngbowyer33

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 01:22:05 pm »
just remember not to go over your target weight. Remove some more wood and make it bend a little more so you can really see it, then get it to low brace.
"All we have to decide is what to do with the time that is given to us"

Paka

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 08:04:36 am »
getting there , bottom picc is with same 4 inch extra longstring at 50lbs at 21 " . Should I go to tillering string (4 inch tiller ) or a 1 inch tillering string??  Or keep long stringing till 26 inches and keep working on tips and around hinges??