Author Topic: my wifes gauva bow  (Read 2090 times)

Paka

my wifes gauva bow
« on: July 19, 2010, 05:32:49 am »
  This is the bow I made to light for me on one of the limbs , around 43 pounds at 28 inches so finished for my wife . It's 68 ntn and everything else is not really measured out.  I guess thats why it was to lite.  The belly is a D style belly .  Next project is all measured up and marked out ;D  So far this is the only adult bow Ive made that hasnt cracked somewhere yet :D  So I tried out cutting a shelf into it and backing it ,  never backed a bow B4 . She wanted some lettering on the  belly , now I need to polyurethane it and get some String material in the next couple weeks hopefully.
  Also , just got a little hand planer and it sure beats a machete and file ;)  Heres some pics , full draw in a cupple days

[attachment deleted by admin]
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 05:49:23 am by Paka »

Paka

Re: my wifes gauva bow
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 05:34:33 am »
tillered

Paka

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 05:35:44 am »
backing

Paka

« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2010, 05:39:48 am »
 This is a stave that the top limb naturally hung low , so  after accidently taking off to much wood (weaker) it was really hard getting rid of the hinge . I figured if I kept cutting the limb shorter that hinge would eventualy blow, or it would if ended up a 15lb bow ::)  My next stave is the opposite , I nee to read up on deflex and reflex so I can explain things a little better . Anyways thanks again all.
  Almost forgot, after poly , will put leather on rest shelves
« Last Edit: July 19, 2010, 05:54:15 am by Paka »

Offline JW_Halverson

« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2010, 11:08:25 pm »
Guava sure has some potential, NomadicPirate proved that! 

Cool snakeskins but I don't think I know what species that is, mabe something exotic?
Guns have triggers. Bicycles have wheels. Trees and bows have wooden limbs.

Paka

« Reply #5 on: July 20, 2010, 06:16:21 am »
JW , its  a rare skin called the broke and whats hiding in the closet skin . I think it jus cotton , but I'll be hitting up Salvation Army for silk on next one ;D

Offline ken75

• crepe myrtle is my "yella wood"
« Reply #6 on: July 20, 2010, 01:23:03 pm »
use what ya got Paka thats the primitive way