Author Topic: Parkers Lil Maple r/d  (Read 3636 times)

Offline Thwackaddict

Parkers Lil Maple r/d
« on: July 19, 2010, 02:04:56 am »
I'm building my nephew a bow using a reflex deflex design out of maple with a black cherry handle.42"ntn 1 1/2 fades tapering to 1" midlimb taperin to 3/8"tips.heres how far i've got so far.I want to get it in the 25-35 range at 20-24".Havent got his draw yet,he is going to finish the bow after i get it all glued up.Any pointers?

[attachment deleted by admin]
Hello everyone.My name is Randy and I am addicted to THWACK!!

Southwest,VA

Online Pat B

• Administrator
Re: Parkers Lil Maple r/d
« Reply #1 on: July 19, 2010, 02:13:20 am »
Everything looks good but you could shorten the handle riser and get more limb working. How old is Parker?  A 3" handle and 1 1/2" fades will give you a few more inches. On a short bow like this you need all the working limb possible if you intend to hit 24" draw.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #2 on: July 19, 2010, 02:31:56 am »
Pat i was thinking the handle was a bit long but i was worried about the splice.He will be 9 in jan.here is a pic of him drawing my first bow.I want to get as much draw out of it as i can cuz hes growin fast but what the hay,if he outgrows it it will go next in line and we will have to make him another. ;D

Southwest,VA

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #3 on: July 21, 2010, 02:56:04 am »
Pat shortened that handle up and lil man started scrapin it down today,Hes got the knack if I can jus keep him focused on his bow instead of runnin to the brushpile and grabbin branches for selfbows!LOL i'm goin to have to get him a stave i reckon :)

Southwest,VA

half eye

« Reply #4 on: July 21, 2010, 10:09:56 am »
Hey Thwack....
       That shot of your nephew with the scraper is absoultely priceless :D If ya ever need any "scrapin" material....be glad to make sure he dont run out. GOOD on you
Rich

Offline Josh

• Silence is golden but duct tape is silver.
« Reply #5 on: July 21, 2010, 10:31:48 am »
that's awesome man, way to pass it on!  :)
“The trouble with quotes on the Internet is you never know if they are genuine.” —Abraham Lincoln

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #6 on: July 21, 2010, 01:22:06 pm »
Rich-I dont know how to thank you enough!!Being that i'm out of work an prolly gonna be out for awhile,may have to take you up on that offer.I glued up some billets for this one but he really wants to do his own from start to finish.I run into some slippery elm behind my house but it will be some time in cutting and drying,etc.how do you quarter saw elm?I will get some pics of it later today,hes ready to get back to work on his bow ;D

Josh-thanks man,get em while they young!!

Southwest,VA

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2010, 02:36:42 am »
Today was a big day for parker,think i just took tillerin lessons!he put it on the stick marked it and flexed all by himself.I'm so proud.Here hes shapin  his handle a bit and some profile shots.

Southwest,VA

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #8 on: July 22, 2010, 02:50:13 am »
here hes on long string and getting it to brace.woulda had more tillerin pics but card corrupted and lost em.Last 2 are pics of his backing strip.

Southwest,VA

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #9 on: July 22, 2010, 03:07:59 am »
Braced, tillered to 18" and full draw,tommorow after backing dries tip overlays and handle and final tiller,Lil man has done really well on this one.I think i'm the proudest uncle in da world! oh he shot it today and this lil sucker zips an arrow,25 yards holding bow dead level no drop.Cant wait til he flings one with the boo powering it,when he does I'll post pics and cast and specs.Thanks to everyone following his build.He loves the comments,especially richs,really made his day!!

Southwest,VA

Paka

« Reply #10 on: July 22, 2010, 06:00:56 am »
 passing it down , ggod job ;D

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #11 on: July 22, 2010, 08:47:57 am »
thanks paka,he has the knack,mite be the thing that keeps him from mischief ;D

Southwest,VA

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #12 on: July 22, 2010, 12:27:01 pm »
That smile kills me . He sure is proud. Great Job.. I enjoy watching children scrape bows. And girls seem too also! I do reinactments and include any youth that ventures my way a chance at scraping. The parents almost always photo them. Such a lost art we Have.. Denny

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #13 on: July 22, 2010, 03:16:16 pm »
Thanks denny-i enjoy watchin him,he wants to do everything himself.we backed it with boo so hopefully we will be able to post some finished pics this evening.Wait til you see that smile ;D

Southwest,VA

Offline Thwackaddict

« Reply #14 on: July 23, 2010, 12:55:10 pm »
this build will be on hold for a few,upper limb delaminated and broke,i think the boo was too thick too,will it hurt anything if i sand down the back of the boo?need some pointers never worked with boo before.thanks

Southwest,VA