Author Topic: My son wants to make a bow! 4-H FAIR RESULTS!  (Read 16811 times)

Offline colt

Re: My son wants to make a bow! Finally finished
« Reply #45 on: July 05, 2011, 04:07:47 am »
as someone trying to learn to work a stave, i really enjoyed this post and learned from it. if a 12 year old can do it, my 20 year old but should be able to handle it!

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #46 on: July 05, 2011, 01:03:38 pm »
Clint,

This is a great thread. I know this has been an inspiration to all, young and old. Great memory making there and great bow. Congrats!!  ;)
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #47 on: July 05, 2011, 02:23:19 pm »
Thats cool Clint. Im glad he saw it through to the end. Thats what the fair is all about. Do you suppose I could hire him for a few days to split some osage and mulberry for me? HAHAHAHAHA!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline Bow Nut

« Reply #48 on: July 05, 2011, 03:40:48 pm »
I love this post.  that is what my dad did for me when I was like 8 years old.  I wanted a bow but wanted an all wood bow and he was not a bow maker by anymeans and have never made one.  we did some research and went to work.  we make it out of a cedar board we found at a construction sight waist pile.  it came out nice but my brother broke it because he was jealous lol I got to use it for about a week and then my bro snapped it over his knee.  Great way to get him into it and my hats off to him for sticking with it for that long and not loosing intrest at that age.  Very nice looking bow as well.  he will probably enjoy this for years to come thanks to his pappy. 

Good Job!

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #49 on: July 05, 2011, 05:39:25 pm »
Thats cool Clint. Im glad he saw it through to the end. Thats what the fair is all about. Do you suppose I could hire him for a few days to split some osage and mulberry for me? HAHAHAHAHA!

You sure can.  I get $20 a day plus expenses. ;D   He would probably do it for free.  He loves to push mow too.
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline PEARL DRUMS

• }}}--CK-->
« Reply #50 on: July 05, 2011, 06:12:02 pm »
That sounds perfect to me. Its worth every dollar of a 20 to sit back and watch!
Only when the last tree has died and the last river has been poisoned and the last fish has been caught will we realize we cannot eat money.

Offline osage outlaw

« Reply #51 on: July 19, 2011, 02:04:36 am »
He entered it into the 4-H fair woodworking class last week and today was the first time we were able to see how he did.  He won Grand Champion!  His bow was judged the best out of at least 20 other woodworking projects.  I think it helped that the judge was a bowhunter ;D  He was really supprised to see a bow as a woodworking project.  We made a book with all of the pictures from this post and a few extras and displayed it with the bow.  We also had a log sheet with the dates and times that he worked on it.  I think that helped show how much work went into making it.  We didn't want people to think it was just a stick and a string.  Now the bow gets to go on to the Indiana State fair. 

« Last Edit: July 19, 2011, 02:07:38 am by osage outlaw »
I started out with nothin' and I still got most of it left

Offline seabass

Re: My son wants to make a bow! 4-H FAIR RESULTS!
« Reply #52 on: July 19, 2011, 03:15:34 am »
that is awesome Clint.this will be a memory that will last you guys a lifetime.he will never forget this.you are a good father.my hats off to you guys.job well done,steve
Middletown,Ohio

Offline Elktracker

• Josh
« Reply #53 on: July 19, 2011, 03:45:16 am »
That is very cool!!! I bet it sparked interest in allot of people who saw it as well. I wish him luck at the state fair! Let us know how that turns out. Thanks and again he did a great job!!

Josh
my friends think my shops a mess, my wife thinks I have too much bow wood, my neighbors think im redneck white trash and they may all be right on the money!!

Josh Vance  Netarts OR. (Tillamook)

Offline Gus

• It's Time To Make Some Shavings!
« Reply #54 on: July 19, 2011, 04:29:07 am »
This is a Great Story and a fine lad with a fine bow.

Hopefully I will be able to do this for my boys, now 2 years old and 5 months old, one day.  :)

Thank You for sharing this with us.

-gus
"I taught him archery everyday, and when he got good at it he throw an arrow at me."

Conroe, TX

Offline soy

• pm106221
« Reply #55 on: July 19, 2011, 06:05:20 am »
Congratulations on a job well done! And good luck, keep us up to date ;)
Is this bow making a sickness? or the cure...

Offline HoBow

• The choices we make dictate the lives we lead.
« Reply #56 on: July 19, 2011, 09:13:24 am »
Congratulations!
Jeff Utley- Atlanta GA

Offline hunter255

« Reply #57 on: July 19, 2011, 10:45:49 am »
Wow Congrats. Great Job

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #58 on: July 19, 2011, 12:18:04 pm »
This is very COOL, Clint and congratulations to your son on his bow building and Grand Champion win. Please let us know how the Indiana State Fair works out for him.   8)
  PA Magazine is always looking for stories for the magazine. This is a story that I think they would love to publish. If you think it is something that the 2 of you would like to try, give Ed Ingold a call or email and he will let you know what is needed.

Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline criveraville

• Psalm 127:4
« Reply #59 on: July 19, 2011, 12:34:58 pm »
Clint,

What an experience for you and your son.  Congratulations to him and best of luck at state.  We will be praying that he wins.  You gotta watch Hoosiers movie together, since he is going to state and all!!!! 
I was HECHO EN MEXICO, but assembled in Texas and I'm Texican as the day is long...  Psalm 127:4 As arrows are in the hand of a mighty man; so are children of the youth.