Author Topic: Need a GOOD scraper.  (Read 32486 times)

Offline DanaM

Re: Need a GOOD scraper.
« Reply #15 on: April 07, 2007, 08:17:48 pm »
Hmm I guess I stand corrected on the Nicholson rasps but when yer new at this there is much other stuff
to acquire. Still $ 100 is nice chunk of change. Hey I have a birthday next month I'll hafta drop a few hints around da house eh. :D

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Dustybaer

« Reply #16 on: April 08, 2007, 07:05:19 am »
hehe, my birthday is this month, so dana i guess i'm older than you and demand the corresponding respect  ;D  you could start showing it by sending me those rasps  ;D

Offline DanaM

« Reply #17 on: April 08, 2007, 07:38:12 am »
Will a heart felt Happy Birthday work Marius?
I hope so as its all I can afford. And yes I will remember taht you are my senior.
A couple more years and I can join the AARP. ;D

DanaM
"Prosperity is a way of living and thinking, and not just money or things. Poverty is a way of living and thinking, and not just a lack of money or things."

Manistique, MI

Dustybaer

« Reply #18 on: April 08, 2007, 07:45:53 am »
absolutely dana, i was just kidding about the rasps and the seniority  ;D  but i'm even more senior by looks than by age  ;D

what's AARP?  maybe i should join it now?

Offline DanaM

« Reply #19 on: April 08, 2007, 08:31:10 am »
AARP ask PatB hehehe, Its a senior citizen organization.
I don't  know Marius I have quite a few grey hairs myself.

DanaM

Manistique, MI

Offline GregB

• Greg Bagwell
« Reply #20 on: April 08, 2007, 08:33:10 pm »
I just bought a #50, and really like the way it performs!

Justin, thinks for reposting the scrapper sharpening thread. I havn't been the best at keeping my scrappers sharpened. I'm sure the effort will be paid back easily in less effort required during bow building.
Greg

A rich person can be poor monetarily, the best things in life are free...

Offline ScottH

« Reply #21 on: April 08, 2007, 11:09:04 pm »
If you had a limited budget and could only buy one rasp, what would it be? The #49 or #50?  :-\

Offline Coo-wah-chobee

« Reply #22 on: April 08, 2007, 11:26:53 pm »
.......Scott...I would buy a #50. I know its a bit of $ but it will last you many years if you take care of it. Buy a file card with it in H.D. and clean it every time you use it so acids and crap don't work on metal. Make a cardboard case for it and keep in there so teeth (raised) don't come in contact with other metal. Better to buy a good file once than crap a no. of times and still spend the same $ in the long run.......................bob

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #23 on: April 09, 2007, 12:26:16 am »
If I could only have 1 it would be the fariers rasp.  ;D Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

duffontap

« Reply #24 on: April 10, 2007, 02:33:03 am »
I'm looking forward to trying one Justin.  Why does Torges not like them?

J. D. Duff

MattE

« Reply #25 on: April 10, 2007, 08:38:39 am »
I save my worn out jointer blades and use them for scraping.A six inch jointer blade work great for cleaning up a bow and you can never wear it out.You also can dress then quickly on a belt sander I rarely have to burnish them for bow work.Your local cabinet shop will probably give you a set of them.

Minuteman

« Reply #26 on: April 10, 2007, 08:51:31 am »
All the farrier's rasps I've seen have been big brutish looking things. They aren't for tillerin' just roughin into shape.That bein' said I own two of em. Ones pretty aggressive on both sides one is super rough on one side, smooth cut on the other.  I didn't know that Torges had a dislike for farrier's rasps. ???
 You can get 'em real cheap at " antique" stores and flea markets with plenty of life left in 'em.
 They sure will hog off the wood.
 Chris

Offline Justin Snyder

• Administrator
« Reply #27 on: April 10, 2007, 09:27:09 am »
I didn't know Torges didn't like them either.  A true farriers rasp is rough on one side and smoother cut on the other. You use one side to hog the material off a horses foot, and the other side to clean it up for the shoe.  Price also depends on were it was made USA, or China. There is a huge difference in the quality of the steel.  The USA one will last years longer, but will cost double.  If you go to an antique store, make sure its made in USA. It will have a stamp in the steel down on the end by the tail, saying China or USA. 

Chris is right, they aren't for tillering.  I don't think any rasp is for tillering.  You could use the less aggressive side, but you might end up with tool marks, or a bow that is too light.  Justin
Everything happens for a reason, sometimes the reason is you made a bad decision.

SW Utah

Offline PepeLep

• Just a common man
« Reply #28 on: April 10, 2007, 03:41:49 pm »
i love my mystic scraper. 

I just got one of them. It's good to hear you like it. I haven't tried it out yet.
Doug from Missouri

Dustybaer

« Reply #29 on: April 10, 2007, 04:23:13 pm »
i've made 4 bows with it so far and never had to sharpen it.  gives you good control because of its shape.  i'll never use anything else for tillering.