Author Topic: (Hickory) backing thickness  (Read 5959 times)

Offline Frode

(Hickory) backing thickness
« on: July 17, 2010, 04:54:28 pm »
Hi all,
I've read of the backing wood overpowering the belly wood of a bow on occasion here, and as I'm finishing up my very first glue up (hickory backed elm), I'm wondering if there are any rules of thumb regarding thickness of backing.  Particularly in hickory, since that's what I'm using.  The backing strips I have are 1/8" thick, and even with sanding, stay pretty close to that.  Is that too much for, say, a 72" ntn, 40-ish@28" "longbow"?  Or is this too open a question?  ???
Thanks,
Frode
If it doesn't rap the lintel, it might not be a longbow.

half eye

Re: (Hickory) backing thickness
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 05:14:44 pm »
Hey Frode,
       I've made a lot of bows from elm.....self and backed and never had a problem with either tension or compression strength of the wood. I've backed with hard maple and that didn't cause any problem.....so even though you dont say how thick the elm is ....I do not believe you will have any problem with the elm standing up.
Rich

Offline Frode

« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 05:26:27 pm »
Hey Frode,
       I've made a lot of bows from elm.....self and backed and never had a problem with either tension or compression strength of the wood. I've backed with hard maple and that didn't cause any problem.....so even though you dont say how thick the elm is ....I do not believe you will have any problem with the elm standing up.
Rich
Oops!  I should've mentioned that  :-[ :)!  In this case, the elm runs from about 3/4" at the fades down to maybe 3/16" at the nocks, 1 1/4" wide at the center of the bow and 1/2" wide at the nocks.
Frode

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #3 on: July 17, 2010, 05:58:41 pm »
When I cut out hickory backing strips I cut them 3/16" and after sanding out the tool marks it is usually 1/8" or slightly less. You should be fine with what you have especially with the length and weight you are building. I haven't built many elm bows but have backed lots with hickory.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline denny

• my site
« Reply #4 on: July 17, 2010, 08:02:16 pm »
I use 1/8 inch when I back with hickory or other woods. The only one I barrel taper is bamboo. Denny

Offline elk country rp

« Reply #5 on: July 17, 2010, 09:42:37 pm »
i go thicker for ipe (~1/4"), but i like to keep it ~1/8" for everything else

Offline Frode

« Reply #6 on: July 18, 2010, 03:03:27 pm »
Thanks everyone!
Frode

Offline luke the drifter

« Reply #7 on: July 19, 2010, 05:18:22 pm »
i may have already ask this on this community forum but i am going to ask it again.  i have spliced two osage stave billits using a four inch double fish-tail splice.  i used tite-bond three glue.  the glue up could have been better but all things considered it turned out rather nice.  would it be better for me to use a quarter inch hickory backing strip if i am going for 72 inch,  40 to 50 lbs., by 30 -32 inch draw.  in y'all's opinion would it hold up under the pressure of tillering.  the grain and rings almost match up perfectly at the splice.  just wondering before i go any further.

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
« Reply #8 on: July 19, 2010, 06:03:05 pm »
A 1/8" hickory backing strip will be sufficient to hold it together. If you are adding a handle riser that will add more strength to the splice.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Offline luke the drifter

« Reply #9 on: July 19, 2010, 11:13:44 pm »
pat b.

that handle riser idea is one i probably should have already thought of but  i like it.