Author Topic: How bout some rough demensions for selfbow  (Read 1885 times)

Paka

How bout some rough demensions for selfbow
« on: July 17, 2010, 04:44:28 am »
 Hi All ,
   Bein busy learning so much in the past weeks and month's from hands on bows and all you folks . I made a board bow  and its now my go to hunting bow but my goal is to make one out of gauva . I made everyone (wife, son, two daughters bows from gauva ) but my gauva bow strarted to crack.  I saved this last stave ,  for this project , my real deal , bring the meat home bow. Its dryied longer than any other stave Ive used.
  Ive researched all over the web and am just , well , got to many idea's and numbers. I'd like to make it 69 ntn and around 55 pounds. Im gonna use a D shape on the belly . I dont want to cut  a shelf in it . I like the handle with a golf T , it worked well on my last bow.
    And most of all would rather build it in a safe strong manner than fancy , pretty ways. Though I wouldnt mind it being pretty ;)
  I guess at 69" ntn , 1/2 inch tips , Im looking for measurments in the middle of bow .
 Got to go , thanks for any relys in advance , really , really , appreciate it. ,
                                                                                            Mahalo ,
                                                                                                Paka

Offline Pat B

• Administrator
Re: How bout some rough demensions for selfbow
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2010, 10:09:24 am »
I made a guava bow a few years ago from a stave I got from Manny in Hawaii. It is 64" t/t. 1 1/2" at the fades with an almost straight taper to 1/2" tips. This bow pulls 58#@28". The belly is slightly crowned. I need to reduce the tips more because it has a bit of hand shock, not much though. The guava is strong enough to handle pretty small tips and that will add more speed and smoothness to the bow.
Make the most of all that comes and the least of all that goes!    Pat Brennan  Brevard, NC

Paka

Re: How bout some rough demensions for selfbow
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2010, 07:42:12 pm »
 Thanks Pat , thats perfect info , I"ll try it ;)